Author Topic: a couple of Medicine Shield Paintings  (Read 5031 times)

Grunt

a couple of Medicine Shield Paintings
« on: April 08, 2010, 08:39:15 pm »
Here's a few more Medicine Shield paintings. I was on light duty recovering from cataract surgery so I wasn't to lift anything over ten pounds for a week. Paint brushes don't weigh much. The one with color is an Oklahoma Star design and the one without color was inspired by Mound Builder insized shell carvings.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Deo

Re: a couple of Medicine Shield Paintings
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 01:29:39 am »
Sweet shields, I especially like the mound builder style design very cool. What are they made of?

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 03:34:17 am »
These are great! What colours did you use??
Frank from Germany...

Grunt

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 08:52:37 am »
Sweet shields, I especially like the mound builder style design very cool. What are they made of?

The Shields are canvas that I stretched and gessoed on a 3/4"  self made plywood frame. The paints are water based regular hardware store paints. The feather work was done with fax eagle feathers from Crazy Crow and the ribbon is from a craft store.
The Ok Star is orange and green contrasting colors so it really "pops"

Jake Levi

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 12:39:26 pm »
Nice to see these here, maybe I'll post some pics of my tipi, its in a Cheyenne style and painting,

I am picking up some buffalo rawhide in two weeks for several shields, medicine and war shields,

A friend in MT and I are working up a mounted competition using buffalo lances on targets, to go along with mounted archery. Those bows are shorties, 42-48" mostly, I am working on several morre now.

If I get some pics taken will post on the lances, all on 5' shafts. Only the war lance decorated.

Offline tahgahjute

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 10:27:38 am »
man,those are really nice.good work.