Author Topic: making arrows?  (Read 1616 times)

jim_bob

making arrows?
« on: April 09, 2010, 02:15:08 pm »
hey guys,
             a very great guy and member of this forum, rockhound34, has made me my first primitive bow. its beautiful and i will post pics when i get my camera back. now that i have a bow i want to get some matching primitive arrows instead of using the ones from the archery store. i was wondering what materials to use and what feathers and such. do i sharpen the shaft or use stone arrow heads?
                            thanks!

Offline jonathan creason

Re: making arrows?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 03:37:17 pm »
I've been tinkering with cane here lately.  It's pretty easy to make a servicable arrow out of, but it is time consuming.  If you do a search on here for "cane arrows" you'll find tons of great info on how to get started.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 09:07:21 pm »
Shoot arrows are fun. These days I've been making them out of wild rose. Stuff on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/archer.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Deo

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 11:39:04 pm »
Depends on where you live. Out west there is Dog wood, red osier a type of dogwood, ocean spray, current, hazel, syringa, service berry, chock cherry, plum,wild rose, shoots from hardwoods, elderberry, snow berry, giant cane a none native, i cant think of any more. A few of these you can find out east as well. Out East not too sure maybe some one else can help me there. I enjoy making arrows a lot out of shoots. Wit feathers you can use any that is long enough and legal but turkey and canada goose are my favorite, peacock wing feathers are wonderful especially the orange colored ones.