Author Topic: Budding Bowyer (?) @ 71  (Read 21921 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: Budding Bowyer (?) @ 71
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2007, 02:19:21 pm »
Nice bow Bernie! How did you tie off your cord handle? I've never done one before, and was wondering if you do it the same as you would applying serving on a bowstring. I know how to do serving...I've made over 30 flemish bowstrings this past week preparing for the Tn. Classic.

Oh yeah...Simper Fi! ;) Hope the spelling is right on that!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

ridge

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2007, 08:36:27 pm »
 I,ll not be slapping you around Bernie. I have a buddy up in Vermont that is still a marine at 87yrs. From the waist up he can hurt me. His legs ain,t to good so i can outrun the old duffer. Luck on the next one.   Ridge

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2007, 08:48:07 pm »
Close, Greg, it's Semper Fi but the meaning is there anyway - thanks. Besides, I had twenty years to learn how to spell it - LOL (1952-1972) You are right about the cord though, it's done exactly like serving a bowstring.

Agbowyer, thanks  again and after you get finished wrapping you paint the cord with dilluted woodglue (I used Elmer's) or Titebond Then once it has dried you are supposed to coat it with the same finish you used on the bow. However I used Tru-oil on the cord for contrast of gloss look and feel, against the Satin Polypro of the bow. I really like Tru-oil (for lots of things) and probably would have finished the bow with that except that Mike warned me about the Hickory's propensity to soak up moisture.

I was out shooting it again this evening - it's a fun and comfortable bow to shoot. I have to cant it a little more than some of my bows. Pretty good authority for a 40#er too. Others have said as much of it also.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 09:38:27 am by ber643 »
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2007, 07:24:12 am »
I just re looked at it I must of missed the grip the first time ,I love that,haven't done one of them in a long time but now that you have jogged my mine I am going to try another one.Great job.
And by the way,Thanks for you service to our Great country. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

MattE

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2007, 08:12:33 am »
Bernie also makes a killer turkey call! I have one on display.It isn't any surprise to me that he would make a nice bow as well. Thanks Benie!

Offline ber643

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2007, 09:46:26 am »
Bless your hearts, ridge, Pappy, and friend MattE. It still means an awful lot to us to read/hear that thank you that pappy used. Most of my Irish accesters wound up in VT, ridge but I'm the only Marine (and I'm a little fellah - LOL). Good on that one in VT though! Thanks, all, for the compliments on the bow and wrap.

Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2007, 12:51:02 pm »
I am sure glad I posted a "call for missed bows"!  I never saw this fine one.  As good as it gets, too. So now it is set up for April Backed Bow of the Month.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Gordon

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2007, 11:48:50 am »
Way to go Bernie. Those tips are really cool and the handle wrap very distinctive. I love it!
Gordon

Offline ber643

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2007, 09:03:24 am »
Thank you so much OldBow and Gordon. I just saw this post, because i didn't think to look first this AM. I don't expect much but it's just a real honor that it's considered worthy among the class I see here and in the magazine.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 09:27:22 am by ber643 »
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC