Author Topic: Vise On Sale (With Final Photos)  (Read 3341 times)

Lombard

Vise On Sale (With Final Photos)
« on: April 10, 2010, 09:43:04 pm »
Found a four and one half inch vise on sale today, at a Big Box Store for $19.95; and just had to have it. Of course I then needed a 2X10X10, wood screws, and some hardware cloth. So what I ended up doing was a copy of a little bow/knapping bench that someone had posted awhile back. Total cost with vise was $38.56. The hardware cloth works great for holding some tools or rock, but not sawdust. Need to round the corners, do some light sanding, and think I'll go with stain, and it will be done.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 07:17:08 pm by Lombard »

Offline youngbowyer33

Re: Vise On Sale
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 09:49:05 pm »
my vise is exactly the same, only black
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 10:19:31 pm »
I have built several bows on a bench identical to that. Looks good.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 12:13:56 am »
I made a similar bench for decoy carving, but with a hydraulic work positioner on the end.  I really like the hardware cloth basket on this one, though.  That would be a great way to store tools that are not currently being used.  I might have to try to make one on mine.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 12:28:44 am »
That looks nice, I need to build me one... That way I can work outside my shed is always really hot in the summer.  I am going to blatantly steal your idea, okay?   ;D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Lombard

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 01:07:10 am »
Thanks guys. It wasn't my idea, and I simply copied it from someone else who had posted photos. I used it tonight to chase a ring, and man oh man, I realized that I should have made one long before now. So much less fatigue, compared to the stand up bench I've been using.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 09:22:23 am »
Nice bench I need to make one. Where did I just see plans for one of these ???
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 10:27:23 am »
Nice settup Lombard! All my vises are broken throw away's that I've welded back - the price was right ;D. I do get tired of standing all the time though, may look into building a bench..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Lombard

Re: Vise On Sale (With Final Photos)
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 07:21:41 pm »
Final photos, with the edges smoothed, and corners rounded. Used a dark walnut stain, with two coats of pollen infused Helmsman Spar Varnish to top everything off.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Vise On Sale (With Final Photos)
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 08:28:10 am »
Cool set up. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good