Author Topic: First Bow Woes  (Read 1672 times)

Offline Crash

First Bow Woes
« on: April 11, 2010, 08:31:12 pm »
So, I started making a red oak-backed maple board bow, 63" ntn pulling around 40-45 lbs (I'm guessing as I don't have a scale) Everything was going great, I had it to draw length at 28", and was going through the fourth round of exercise when I heard a crack... It was just a tiny little splinter lifting on the back, so I backed it with linen. I was exercising it again, probably around the 3rd round, when I got a whole lateral crack along the oak backing... i put a rawhide patch on it, and it holds, but probably not for long, it's hinging a little bit... so sad. I thought about using my heat gun to delaminate the oak and put a new backing on it. My tiller was pretty too! I'll post picks if I can get them off my phone.
I know everything, just not all at the same time...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: First Bow Woes
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 09:06:03 pm »
Now that your "New Bow Woes" are behind you please put this poor bow to rest. It has suffered enough.  ::)  On your next bow, try maple backed red oak. I'd bet your success rate will increase.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Crash

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 09:13:38 pm »
but to quote Queen, "I'm just a poor boy, from a poor family" No, I will not let it go. Haha.  Not only am I cheap, but i also don't give up easily. After I had cut the oak, I was suspicious, but was already committed. I might be able to get some quartersawn hickory from a friend, I might try that next.
I know everything, just not all at the same time...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 12:49:40 am »
Get your self a straight grained red oak board and have at it. You can back it with silk, linen or burlap. More on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!