Author Topic: Stave to bow  (Read 6738 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Stave to bow
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2010, 10:50:12 am »
barebo, it sure is easy to ruin a stave with a dknife. It takes practice. Everyone should use it the way they want to. Bevel up or bevel down-that's their choice. Dull or sharp their choice too. Drawknives sure are great tools. The one I use I inherited from my Dad who died in '89. I have no idea how old it is. But I keep it very sharp. It's the top tool. The middle tools are shavehooks which I use for ring chasing with osage. The bottom tool is a Swedish pushknife. I bought that for $6 in a second hand tool store. I use it for scraping. Once I string a bow that pushknife is all I use for tillering. I keep it very sharp too. I hate tillering sticks though.  :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2010, 10:51:34 am »
Oh and the shavehooks are sharp too. :) Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline barebo

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2010, 12:30:14 am »
George, your knife looks a lot like mine profile wise. I hated to, but I noticed some lettering hiding under the patina/gunk of many years, and sanded it to reveal "cast steel" and a name that is too worn to decipher. What a piece!!! I don't want to hijack this thread,
so I'll start another soon. I want to see stickthrower get a shooter!!!

Offline Orkraider

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2010, 12:40:06 am »
watching a stave get turned into a bow is fascinating for me. I love it, can't wait to see how this comes out.

Nice tools, George, thanks for showing them.

And last, minnesota in the house, yo, what a perfect day, eh?
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

Offline barebo

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2010, 01:02:49 am »
I forgot to mention George, that I don't even have a tiller stick. What I just did for the current one, was use the long string under my foot and pulling up like stringing the bow and looking for flat spots. Thinned down the flats and in no time had a braced bow. Got in front of a mirror and did some partial draws - shaved a bit of wood - repeated. This one just wanted to be a bow!!!

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2010, 01:20:44 am »
orkraider, thanks. I do love that top dknife. barebo, I don't have a t stick either. Now a tiller tree - that's the ticket! Sounds like you made a nice bow. :) Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline stickthrower

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2010, 09:55:50 pm »
To all:

This bow is now going to be sitting to the side until I can get some more experience.

SailorDad took a look at it, and I violated the growth ring pretty bad on the back, and have a couple hinges that have developed. 

So, I am going to put it to the side until I get to a point I feel I can do a laminate bow.  Then I will try to do that with this bow.

Thanks for all your advice that you have given to me on this bow.  I greatly appreciate all your help on this.

I added another new post, if you check that out, I am working on a new bow.

Nathan
Sartell, Minnesota

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2010, 11:54:39 pm »
Well, stick, sounds like you made a good decision. Jawge
Set Happens!