Author Topic: Leather finish  (Read 3020 times)

Offline zenmonkeyman

Leather finish
« on: April 11, 2010, 10:44:07 pm »
Would I be totally nuts to spar varnish over my leather arrow pass?  I suppose I'd lose some of the quietness if I did so?  Has anybody done it?

Thanks!

Garett
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Leather finish
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 11:59:31 pm »
Leather need to breath. I would not varnish over the leather.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 01:47:07 am »
Thanks, Pat!  Appreciate the response.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 02:35:15 am »
back when I was tooling leather all the time I always finished with neetlac leather finnish, a shelac, can't hurt to ty it as long as it's not ruffside out
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 03:43:11 pm »
Thanks for the tip, bubby!

Offline Gordon

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 05:34:42 pm »
Neetlac is a great product, but Tandy no longer distributes it. I have yet to find a suitable replacement.
Gordon

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 08:24:37 pm »
Found a leatherworking forum thread about neetlac replacements.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=15013&hl=neat+lac

Based on page 1, the frontrunners seem to be "Clearlac", and "RTC".  There are 3 pages though.

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 01:50:16 am »
Guess that shows how long it's been since I tooled any leather, hope the newer stuff works out
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹