Author Topic: Chrono Results.  (Read 2491 times)

Offline zenmonkeyman

Chrono Results.
« on: April 12, 2010, 01:50:51 am »
I just shot 3 arrows through a chronograph.  The arrows are 401, 463, and 478 grains respectively.  They chronoed at 166fps, 166fps, and... uh... What was it now?... Oh yeah:  166fps.  But not necessarily in that order.  What can this mean?
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: Chrono Results.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 02:02:11 am »
I'm just guessing that your bow  just doesn't shoot any faster than 166fps.   As I understand it that "dry fire" speed is related to limb mass and limb profile.  It may shoot somewhat heavier arrows just as fast, esp. if it's a heavy draw weight bow.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 02:04:09 am »
You could always shoot some other bow through the chrono just to rule out some weird malfunction.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 02:07:40 am »
Thanks Ron, I had a half-formed notion to the effect of what you're telling me.  I've used the chrono before and I think it's fine.  It's good there's no temptation to skimp on arrow weight to try for a few more fps!
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 03:59:55 am »
Zen, what was the draw weight of your bow. I have never seen different weight arrows chrono at the same speed unless the chrono is malfuntioning. If your bow is around 50# you should be seeing between 10 and 12 fps difference between the lightest and heaviest arrows. Not really physicaly possible. I would test again under different light. The 401 gran arrow is getting 24# of energy and the 478 is getting 29# of energy. Steve
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 04:06:19 am by Badger »

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 10:10:12 am »
It is possible that the chrono is displaying the fastest fps all the time.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 03:42:08 pm »
Thanks guys, I'll go try it again.  The bow is (to the best of my scale's ability) about 54#.  The second and third shots flashed "DUPL", which I figured was the chrono's way of telling me that it did indeed get a new number, but it just happened to be the same as the last number. 

Steve, is it possible the bow just has a maximum response speed?  There has to be an end to gains at some point, or a 1gr arrow would be approaching the speed of light...  The bow design isn't ideal, either, it's another skinny serviceberry, only an inch wide at the handle, 68" N2N, and about 19oz.  There's a deflex kink near the handle I had to heat twice to prevent hinging, even though the bow was left almost untillered at that point for the same reason.  An ideal bow design should have arrows leaving at 180fps at my 30" draw I would think.

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 04:34:55 pm »
Zen, there is a final speed it will reach but that would be with a weight of about 20 grains or so. Your terminal speed is probably about 220 fps with that bow. Not really that hard to calculate if you know how much energy your bow stores.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 05:22:41 pm »
That's what it sounds like to me also Justin.... I know that mine will do the same... if you don't set it right
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Rich Saffold

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 10:36:17 pm »
 :DGood one Justin.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 08:23:46 am »
 Just shoot the three arrows a few times at a target from the same distance If they hit the kill zone, hut um ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2