Author Topic: Its been forever should I make one..ELB  (Read 6034 times)

VenomBOWslinger

Its been forever should I make one..ELB
« on: April 12, 2010, 02:21:20 am »
Hey guys no pics as of yet..I been making tons of flat bows and Holmgaards lately I thought I would jump over here for a bit.  This section is like a different breed and I can use the change of pace.  Well lets see this is what I have to work with maybe someone can give me a few pointers... I have Black locust, hickory, ash, red oak, hard maple, and birch...I want to make something in or around the 80lb range Im not trying to kill my arm..I need some inspiration so if anyone feels free to do so it would be great.  Thanx guys!!!

Venom

Offline adb

Re: Its been forever should I make one..ELB
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 01:08:45 pm »
I'd go with the hickory or ash.

Offline Phil Rees

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 01:28:34 pm »
Go with the Black locust .... no offence adb

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 09:57:39 pm »
I might just makeone of each!  LOL anyone have good dimension pictures Id appreciate it!

Thanx
AA
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Jay

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 02:48:44 pm »
I'm just finishing bow #6, Hickory ELB 55# 28". I was working on 60" but.... ya know how it goes.  72" groove to groove.
It flings my 3/8" DIA.home-despot arrows 150 yards. I don't think its a "war-bow" but my 46 year old eyes have to real work to see where they hit. I need to make some bodkins >:D  Have fun!!!

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 05:08:28 pm »
I'm just finishing bow #6, Hickory ELB 55# 28". I was working on 60" but.... ya know how it goes.  72" groove to groove.
It flings my 3/8" DIA.home-despot arrows 150 yards. I don't think its a "war-bow" but my 46 year old eyes have to real work to see where they hit. I need to make some bodkins >:D  Have fun!!!

That's awesome. :)  I'd love love love to shoot a warbow.  I wish there were more here in the US that enjoy that particular type of archery.

Offline Jay

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 08:59:32 am »
Check out Longbow-archers.com. great info and history.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 03:42:41 pm »
DMASS there are tons of people in the states who use nothing but ELB's they generally go to those medieval events or archery clubs.  But as you already may know its more common for Americans to use there traditional flatbow or recurve disigns.  I agree that ELB's should be mixed in a bit more especially for deer hunting.  The only problem I have for using them in hunting is tough to use in those portable blinds u get tangled up in the branches when hunting in the scrub.  I love them and I am on my way to making another!  Check out the bow on that new Robin Hood movie with Russell Crowe!

Russell
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 04:15:23 pm »
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I wish there were more people that shoot events like clout or flight.  It's almost as if the only use for a bow here in the States is to hunt with.  (nothing wrong with that) I've never been to a medieval fair, but if they did some of the things like what you see on longbow-archers.com, I'd love to go.

Offline Jay

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 11:58:57 pm »
The Wisconsin highland games had a "clout " shoot last year. It was for fun and bragging rights. I met a pile of nice folks, had some good shooting, and beer. ;D  I mainly shoot in my hay field. I also deer hunt with mine. ya just need to plan for 6 feet of hickory in front of you.

Jay
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 12:05:34 am by Jay »

Offline Orkraider

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 10:02:28 am »
Where in 'sconi were these highland games, and do you know if they'll be held again this year?

I'm right next door in minnesota, and it sounds like something fun.
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

Offline Jay

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 03:38:32 am »
Go to wisconsinscottish.org               

The games are held at the Waukesha county fair grounds. The archery area was open to practice all day and the shoot took two hours or so in the afternoon. i was only there for one day but i think they did it on two days. it was fun. they grouped the archers in longbow and re curve categories for scoring, and gave out medals of the "quilted badger" for the best scores. some folks were in their Scottish costumes, I'm German so you'll never get me in a kilt. lol  :D Unless my wife digs it  ;) I would say there were 15 archers the day i was there.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 01:33:26 am »
Damn u people...We dont have anything like that here in NY state...maybe we do but I would love to partake in an event like that is it with all traditional equipment or self made?  I'll check out the site mentioned aBove.

Russ

Offline Jay

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 08:34:27 am »
They let you shoot what you brought. No cams or wheels. Just informal fun.  :D Between practice and the competition there was a short demonstration... they shot through a car door. ;D there was a place on the grounds for little ones to try archery. i didn't make it overthere. i was having tooooo much fun launching arrows down range.

Jay

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 04:08:16 am »
Sounds great I am in NY and if anyone from NY want to hook up and luanch some arrows contact me I am an arrow maker as well I can make u a few of mine to try!!!

Russ