Author Topic: Burls  (Read 4387 times)

Offline DanaM

Burls
« on: April 10, 2010, 03:52:23 pm »
Cut these two cherry burls today, lots of knife handles in em ;D
Also happened across some HHB, should have waited another month as its gonna be a bugger getting the bark of them.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline sonny

Re: Burls
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 06:06:11 pm »
I'm not sure that HHB will make a bow.....
better send it to me.

what kinda color will you get when you cut into those burls ?? just wondering of you get any heartwood color in 'em.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 06:55:41 pm »
sonny see my thread a few knives, its down the page a bit but a couple of thye knives have cherry burl handles
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 07:04:52 pm »
The Wood Whore Truck Eh ;D

Manistique, MI

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 07:19:19 pm »
Good score! I been hunting burl in the city lately. I follow the landscapers around. Steve

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 07:33:47 pm »
Nice! Quick burl question.  Are red bud burls good for anything?
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 07:46:07 pm »
Nice score, Dana! Jeff, redbud heartwood is really nice colored, so I'd say the burls should have some good wood in them.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 07:54:12 pm »
Jeff redbud don't grow up here, but in my opinion any burl wood is cool, I do remember buying some
redbud in da 70's though ::) :P ;) :D

Badger if ya want a piece of cherry burl let me know  and its yours, let me know what yer going to do with it, and some basic dimensions
ya have to e-mail me as PM's don't work for me, mstqsewer@charterinternet.com

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 07:55:43 pm »
Those are some nice burls Dana! But I like the staves better ;D. Dick Preneke made some nice bowls outa burl. See ya in a few weeks eh...
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 07:59:35 pm »
I've been lokking for a the perfect burl for a bowl, saw one today but it was about 70 feet up in a maple tree >:(
Heck yea see ya in da knappin pit eh :)

Manistique, MI

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 09:37:03 pm »
Nice! Quick burl question.  Are red bud burls good for anything?

No, they're worthless. If you happen to find any, just send them to me and I'll take care of discarding them for you.  ;) >:D
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Grunt

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 08:30:24 pm »
Here's a little hollow pot I made out of a rhododrendon burl. It's 12 inches in diameter and 1/4 thick.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 08:37:19 pm »
Awesome work, Grunt. I've never seen a rhododendron burl, nonetheless one that big. Natural edge bowls/hollowforms are some of my favorite to make and see. You did that one proud.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)