Author Topic: nock to feather length  (Read 3384 times)

Offline Postman

nock to feather length
« on: April 14, 2010, 10:59:35 am »
I've been wondering how y'all arrive at your nock throat to feather distance. I use 5" feathers , and a 6" brace on 58-62" osage selfbows. (measured sting to back of bow) 

Do y'all like to keep the front of the fletch from sticking  out i while it is nocked, with a short distance between nock and fletch, or prefer more clearance for your fingers?

Does this distance appreciably affect arrow flight?

I notice a lot of primitive and /or turkey fletched arrows on here seem to have even longer fletchings, and I should be getting some feathers soon ;D

thanks,
John
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline aero86

Re: nock to feather length
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 11:49:38 pm »
my fletchings are 5 inches long too.  i leave just enough room to not touch the feathers with my fingers or if im wearing a glove.  thats about it. 
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 12:46:21 am »
I'm a hunting archer and noise is a big consideration. I use 5 1/2" feathers(usually) and my fistmeil for brace height and that works for me.   Generally about 1" from feather to the back of the arrow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 01:10:37 am »
I'm not a hunting archer and just started making arrows myself.  I'm using 5" arrows and they seem to be touching the bow slightly while nocked.  I keep the feathers about 1 1/8" from the back of the arrow to clear my fingers.  I tried using longer feathers, but I personally don't like that they get messed up just trying to pull the bow back.  I'm affraid they'll affect flight. 

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 01:18:29 am »
I'm not a hunting archer and just started making arrows myself.  I'm using 5" arrows and they seem to be touching the bow slightly while nocked.  I keep the feathers about 1 1/8" from the back of the arrow to clear my fingers.  I tried using longer feathers, but I personally don't like that they get messed up just trying to pull the bow back.  I'm affraid they'll affect flight. 

:o WOW only 5" arrows,no wonder they barely touch the bow when nocked                                  lol   just having some fun with ya,i know what ya meant

i usually use 5" fletching,i leave about .5-.75" from nock groove to fletching
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 12:20:12 pm »
What Pat said.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Postman

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 09:43:57 pm »
Thanks - has anyone noticed arrow flight affected by fletch  placement if spine isn't perfect? In other words, is farther forward more "forgiving"?
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA