Author Topic: Losing touch with the hunt...  (Read 9320 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Losing touch with the hunt...
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 08:43:09 am »
I hear ya,don't watch them anymore. Some of the guys love them and turn them on when they come to stay at the cabin,I just tune them out. Don't care what you hunt with,just ant interested in watching. Rather watch the History or military channel. :) ;) at least most of that is real. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 10:58:09 am »

I'm just lamenting the fact that we, as a species, tend to simplify through complication.  

hey zen mind if i steal that?  ;D

i agree with everything everyone said. my dad and my grandpa both own a scoped rifle for rifle season, an inline muzzle loader for black powder season, and my grandpa has a cross bow. i myself use a win. 94, and an inline muzzle loader, but then again where we hunt at, i havent even seen a deer while hunting in four years. we dont have the abbundance of deer some of you guys are luckey enough to enjoy, and we hunt for meat, because every deer we kill is a few bucks we dont have to spend on food. i think that's what its about. my grandpa grows all of our vegitables, at least once a week we enjoy deer, rabbit, squirrel, catfish, gar, or some other tasty critter that my friend and i mannage to get. i believe that primative is a choice, but hunting ethicly, respecting nature, understanding the signifigance of what you are doing when you take a life for your own benifite, is what makes the difference between a hunter and some idiot with a rifle.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline Kegan

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 02:23:17 pm »
I agree with several of you who've posted so far: I don't like the show, or rather the TV mentality, but I've no issue to a fellow using a compound, stick bow, rifle, or what have you so long as the kill is clean and well meaning. TV shows may be the single worst thing out there for the actual spirit of hunting (or shooting period for that matter).

It's a shame that only stupid sells :(

Offline Stoker

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 04:20:28 pm »
I haven't watched one of those for 4 years.It was a elk hunt in Colorado.This"bowhunter" shoots a elk on the walk in the guts.
Then magically they find it at dark.I wonder why he had time to change his camo while tracking this bull. ???
They are more interested in the P&Y book then the method.A good day hunting doesn't have to be successfull harvest.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 09:20:58 pm »
Recurve, I would be honored if you stole something I said.  However you can't steal it because I give you permission to use it.  I'd give you permission to steal it, but I'd be confused for days afterward...  ;D

But I digress.  Since my comment about feeling bad about not having hunted for my deer last year, I've been feeling guilty for a different reason:  for not appreciating the gift I was given.  I had to drive an hour and a half to get to the land I had permission to hunt, and I wouldn't have been happy to have to go back too many times.  Maybe my early success was a nod from the Karma Gods (hope that PA letter writer doesn't see that); in any event in hindsight I'm feeling a lot of gratitude.  Man I overthink things sometimes...

As for TV shows, there are some good ones.  I'd recommend "Canada in the Rough" to anybody who can get it.  Definitely a class show with an excellent cooking segment to boot.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 09:36:38 pm »
Recurve, I would be honored if you stole something I said.  However you can't steal it because I give you permission to use it.  I'd give you permission to steal it, but I'd be confused for days afterward...  ;D

lol  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2010, 10:32:36 am »
Well I don't watch them because they hunt white tail and we don't have any so I am completely disinterested.  :-\ I have a rifle that I built up for shooting 1000 yards, and I really like hunting with it. I really enjoyed hunting with my compound in the past also. I'm sure the first guy that hunted with a bow was just like the guys with compounds. His buddies thought he was complicating things. And when he killed that bear from 30 feet his buddies called him a sissy for not getting close enough to poke it with a spear.  OK they probably didn't, but the theory is the same. He was hunting with the latest technological advances, some contraption that had never been used before.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline predatorcaller

• life is short-enjoy it
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2010, 05:26:16 pm »
To each his own.I enjoy hunting with anything.My son Hunter-trapper has gotten me into the more traditional ways.I bowhunt with a recurve-use an in-line with no scope-and my flintlock,but if I haven,t scored in the early season then you,ll find me with a scoped rifle late.I enjoy the meat and the HUNT  with whatever it is I,m carrying.I filled my 1st tag with my 270 and my second with my flintlock on a doe at 15 yds that I stalked in my socks in January.I won,t lie-getting close and the more primitive weapon feels good.It,s all about ETHICS and HONOR no matter the weapon.Have a great day.Lloyd

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 10:16:19 am »
well said predatorcaller
lets just shoot it