Author Topic: petrified wood??  (Read 6020 times)

Offline ozy clint

petrified wood??
« on: April 18, 2010, 08:41:18 am »
i think it was here somewhere i saw that petrified wood could be knapped, usually after heat treating.

anyone done it? pics? any info at all?

Offline DanaM

Re: petrified wood??
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 09:59:38 am »
some will some won't I've got a bucket full that won't even after cooking it >:(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 10:42:20 am »
i have knapped some,but like Dana,i too have some that wont knapp
but it looks real purty sitting in the rock garden  ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 06:50:11 pm »
My kids dug a crater in my front yard and found about 50lbs of petrified wood.  It was silver and gold sheen to it.  I should try and knap or heat treat it.  I heard you can knap it but have never seen anything made from it.  I'll post a pic if it works.

Cheers!

AA
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 07:12:49 pm »
 Like others have said, it really depends on the quality. I have some from Florida that is good for throwing and some from the Petrified Forest that is excellent for knapping.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 08:15:47 pm »
Mullet u have coral where u live right?  I might have to move south but convincing the old lady... cant tell her it for rocks!!! ;) :D

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 09:50:05 pm »
Wholey Crap! Another one. I see from your profile you are from NY State. Might as well come on down, you will have plenty of neighbors from back home. ;) If it was me, I'd be here because of that crap ya'll like to shovel in the Winter. You can always trade for Coral.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 10:14:34 pm »
I did locate one piece down here in the brazos that worked ok after cooking and others down there that would prolly work but haven't as of yet messed with em. I have however dug up a bunch in the yard here like your kids and don't think it'll do anything. But yes, you can make a point outa petrified wood.

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 10:38:58 pm »
 Dang, Paul. What's all that clutter in the background?
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 11:11:43 pm »
Dang Paul , thats really nice an I can,t believe how many points are behind you. Any suggestion on temps. for petrified wood, I got a couple of pcs from somewhere in Utah. Looks kinda fractured but feels like its coated with wax. Bob

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 11:19:20 pm »
 Bob, go about 450 all night.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 11:42:40 pm »
Dang Paul , thats really nice an I can,t believe how many points are behind you. Any suggestion on temps. for petrified wood, I got a couple of pcs from somewhere in Utah. Looks kinda fractured but feels like its coated with wax. Bob
Bob, I have used the waxy stuff and it works great, but it is hard to find. I have a large red chunk right now that is going to get cut into slabs.  I could show you a whole forest of the stuff that doesn't work for every pound of stuff that does.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 12:31:23 am »
I'm not sure on the temps Bob. Check out mullet's thread on rainey day - that's how I've cooked so far..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 09:05:20 am »
I might get lucky with the petrified wood we found it has a glassy density sound to hit when you tapp it on onother rock!  Who knows when I get back home I will give it a whirl!  Mullet as far as moving there Id probably die from the heat!  I would like the change of environment but like you said to many Newyorkers in one spot is no good!!! ;)

Russ

Offline xin

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 03:43:10 pm »
Petrified wood points turn up quite frequently in the archaeological record in East Tx and Louisiana.