Author Topic: First Time Selfbow??  (Read 19075 times)

Dalebow

First Time Selfbow??
« on: March 25, 2007, 06:38:40 pm »
Iam new to the message board and very new to selfbows :-\
I am ready to take the step after hunting with glass backed bows and want to make a self bow.  I know nothing about it except from what Ive read in Primitive archer.
Iam thinking a simple Osage bow, not backed or anything and maybe starting with a stave that just needs finished.

My question is:  Does this seem like a reasonable place to start.

Thanks in advance :)

« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 07:49:00 pm by Dalebow »

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
Re: First Time Selfbow??
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 11:05:07 pm »
That's a great place to start. If you have access to a good stave, get right on it. Feel free to ask questions, and be sure to post your progress for all of us to see! ;D
       Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 11:09:28 pm »
It would probably be best to continue this on the 'bows' section of the website. :D
       Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

crowshead

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 09:58:47 am »
Great place to start!!!!

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 03:41:22 pm »
Yes start! Everybody who shoots should try to make at least one.It shows you alot about the mechanics of how the wood works.Restart this thread or move it to Bows and you will have more advice than you can take in... Good luck.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 06:48:21 pm »
I would recommend that you do a bit of tillering on a bow that is not quite to draw weight.
Tillering is bow making.

I see that you are from Kentucky.
If you are not to far from Pappy a visit to his farm some weekend would be well worth the trip.
All you would have to do is ask.
You will learn more than you can take in.

Like the others have said start a post under bows and lots of advice will head your way.

Nice pig!  Where did you take him?

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 08:15:48 pm »
A nice osage stave would be a great place to start, but unless you have someone close by that you can get advice from one on one from time to time I think you'd be better off with a few lesser staves - just till you get the hang of it. But then again I've seen some very nice first bows on here too.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.