Author Topic: Wheeling Sportsman  (Read 11574 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Wheeling Sportsman
« on: March 25, 2007, 09:51:52 pm »
I just had a very humbling experience this weekend.I went turkey hunting in the mngt area and at the same time they were having a special hunt for handicap hunters down the road on another piece of property.They were short 3 guides,and my good friend from Indiana had been guiding for them for awhile, and asked myself and another buddy if we would help.
    Well ,I was at a loss for words when we showed up and saw some of the disabilities these people had.But also saw on every face ,the excitement "of the hunt" and chasing Osceola Turkeys through the Florida woods.
    My friend and myself each took Vietnam Vets,both triple amputees.These were some tough hunters as it took both of us working hard to get wheel chairs through the woods in the dark ,then trieing to move on gobbling birds with wheel chairs.It was fun,Alot of work for this old man,but I'll do it again.
    It was worth the experience to hear everybody at lunch ,whether somebody had to feed them or get their food,talking about afternoon strategy and how to move and set up .If you get a chance to participate with this group you ought to do it at least once.It'll make your heart get real big and it kept me from complaning how bad my knee and hip hurt.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Wheeling Sportsman
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 09:59:06 pm »
PROUD OF YOU MAN!!!!!  You make us all proud.  Justin
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 12:10:51 am by justin snyder »
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline sonny

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 10:17:23 pm »
....takes a post like this to make you stop and think how lucky we are that we can get out and about on our own.
Thanks Mullet !! for this post and for the work that you did!
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

JSU

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 11:50:59 pm »
Great job Mullet! I can't imagine what it be like to not be able to get around good. Those people have a lot of guts! Thank God there are people like you and those other folks to help these people have a good time. My hat's off to you .  Scotty

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 12:05:48 am »
......... Please add compasionate and selfless to human being when you refer to yourself. Iam proud to know you Eddie.......................bob

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 06:30:44 am »
What a wonderful thing to do, makes me think there might be hope for this planet afterall.
Well done eddie!!!!

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 05:49:54 pm »
Thanks for the kind words everybody.I really posted this to let you guy's know about the Wheeling Sportsman's and what they do for these courageous people.If you get a chance to volunteer it will be a worthy experience.
Lakeland, Florida

wolf among dogs

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 04:12:44 pm »
Very cool bud ! and good luck in SC!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 07:07:41 pm »
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Little John

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 12:09:09 am »
  You are the man Eddie, I know whAT  You mean about making you feel good. Hope I get the chance some day to do something good. People should not forget that small good things are just about as good as big good things. Thanks Eddie for pitching in  and my hat is also off to you and others like you.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 10:31:27 pm »
Dude, this post just made my day....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 10:42:38 pm »
Kenneth and Brian,Thanks! Brian I'm glad to see you posting.I just saw today that you moved but I was wondering if you had problems.Again thanks guy's.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 05:54:47 pm »
My only problem is lack of organization skills :D :D :D

Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 06:41:31 am »
Mullet,just read this and it brought a tear to my eye,we just don't know how good we got it.Your the man.  :)
   Pappy   
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 10:42:13 pm »
 Thanks Pappy, Sadly there ought to be a few up around Ft.Campbell now.
Lakeland, Florida