Author Topic: question for hog hunters  (Read 1992 times)

Offline paulc

question for hog hunters
« on: April 23, 2010, 04:10:19 pm »
Hey All, I spent my morning at Fort Stewart outside of S'nah looking for a feral hog to shoot.  I saw a pretty nice one on the drive in on the access road but of course it ran into a closed area instead of into the area I was signed in for(got to register every time you hunt the fort).  Anyway that was at 6:30am and that was the only hog I saw all morning, but there was lots of sign.  My question is...in your experience is hog hunting a first light hunt or is it an all day thing?  I didn't/don't know if hogs will be active during the day or if they tend to bed down like a whitetail once the light comes up.  I was hoping with it being spring and all they might be moving more right now?  All in all a gorgeous moring in spite of the lack of things to shoot.  Saw an osprey, water moccasin, warblers, white tail, a large turtle digging a hole to lay her eggs  and heard turkeys but could not find them.  Thanks for sharing whatever you know about the hogs.  PaulC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: question for hog hunters
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 05:20:39 pm »
Early morning and late afternoon are best, but I've seen them at all times of the day.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 11:34:29 am »
Early mornin' is my favorite. They are diggin' around while they head toward their bed,and usually the bunch is moving along at a good clip.When you spot them,try to get right with the wind quickly, and move in aggressively.If not, they'll out run you,and you'll lose them. JMHO God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline mrkinsey

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 05:52:34 pm »
If you're near Ft. Stewart then drive to Toombs County.  There are thousands of wild hogs along the back-country of highway 280.  That tip was free of charge.  They'll be out all day foraging (my wife knows because she and her siblings had to be very careful playing outside).
There is always Hope.

Ken Jiang

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 02:30:55 pm »
yes, Early morning is best for hunting most of times. I used to go hunting at about 4 AM and only problem is the light. It's dark at that time, but there are more animal outsides. Specially near water places.