Author Topic: One Cool Hunt!!  (Read 1794 times)

Offline chasing crow

One Cool Hunt!!
« on: April 24, 2010, 10:34:44 am »
I just had one of the neatest hunting moments I have had in a while. Got out early, 50 deg. cloudy and light rain. Heard a few gobbles about 100 yards South and across the river. I called a few times and thought they might have flown down to my side. About 1/2 hour later they were still making noise and I heard a hen a little closer cutting, so I answered. I was very surprised when she came off the roost and landed within 20 yards from me. I hadn't seen her on the roost. She poked around straight out from me for about 10 min. She moved back toward the river, about 30 yd out and in walked a deer from the left. Then a second deer. I sat there thinking , wow, a turkey and 2 deer all within 10 yards of each other and 30 yd from me. Kind of like a picture in a magazine. OH MY GOSH, I saw movement just to my right about 10 yd away. TWO bearded beauties passing right in front of me!! Well, I watched the first one pass. He stopped and looked at me, and to my relief he continued on. The second one passed and they both headed straight out from me toward the deer. I knew I would be lucky to draw at all without being detected but I got a chance at the second turkey. Just as he cleared a small tree, the other had his back to me and the deer seemed disinterested. I drew back and let my first self-made arrow fly from my osage bow! AH, I left it short. The shot was very quiet and until the arrow hit the grass in front of my intended target, all were still. Once it hit the deer and both bearded boys trotted of to the South rahter calmly. The hen never even moved until about a minute later when she just walked away, also to the South. Ya, I probably would have dinner tonight if I had carried my flint smoothbore, but I would not trade this first shot at game (other than squirrels) with my bow for anything!! A great morning in the woods!   

[attachment deleted by admin]
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline Mechslasher

Re: One Cool Hunt!!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 10:43:05 am »
that's what it's all about!
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 11:09:56 am »
Awesome. Thanks for sharing.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline PeteC

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 11:10:18 am »
 That's what I'm talkin' about Chasing Crow.Great story,thanks for sharin'. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline lowell

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 11:35:44 am »
Very good story..sounded like a good time!!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!