Author Topic: How long does should I wait to track after a good shot?  (Read 2745 times)

Offline Joey V.

How long does should I wait to track after a good shot?
« on: April 26, 2010, 01:32:01 pm »
I am a long time bow shooter but a new "traditional equipment" hunter.  I have never arrowed a whitetail yet but am hoping to this season.  How long does it take on avg. for a whitetail to die when hit with a good broadside lung shoot using a 2 blade steel broadhead?  Also how far is the max effective killing range of a 60# fast recurve type bow provided I can make a great shot?  should I also expect a complete pass threw provided a don't hit ribs / bones at say 20 yrds?

Sorry for all the questions
Joey V.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How long does should I wait to track after a good shot?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 07:56:29 pm »
Joey, If you get both lungs the deer will die in about 30 seconds or slightly more time but can travel 100 yards or more in that time. I generally wait 30 minutes after the shot before trailing unless I know it is a gut shot or a liver shot. Then I wait 2 or more hours before trailing.  My max shot would be 25 yards but prefer 12 to 15 yards. The effective range  of an arrow is as far as the arrow will go. Howard Hill killed an elk at 185 yards with his longbow.
 A complete pass through is not necessary to kill a deer.  6" to 8" penetration is enough to get both lungs. As a matter of fact if the broadhead is inside the deer and the shaft strikes bushes or trees as the deer runs off it will do more damage inside.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 11:01:20 pm »
I've only shot one deer with "organic" equipment.  Actually it was the only deer I ever shot. ;)   I shot the deer at about 10 yds from a treestand.  The bow I used was a 43# BBI.  I used a tonkin cane shaft and 2 blade zwikey broadhead. The arrow was about 500 gr.  The shot was almost a complete pass through.  Only the fletching was still in the exit side of the deer.  The broadhead penetrated both lungs and also clipped the heart.  The deer ran about 25 yds from where I shot it and died really quickly.  I still waited 20 mins to look for it.  It was the longest 20 mins. of my life.  My guess is effective killing range is entirely up to the shooter.  Mine is anything less than 15 yds. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline Joey V.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 05:27:32 pm »
Thanks guys!