Author Topic: Straight, Offset, or Helical  (Read 22877 times)

Offline DanaM

Straight, Offset, or Helical
« on: March 27, 2007, 03:18:07 pm »
Ok we got the spine issue beat to death, now what do you guys shoot straight, offset, helical, 3 fletch, 4 fletch and size. Also different setups for field points and broadheads? Whats yer opinion?

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline NorthernArcher

• Alberta Traditional Bowhunters Association
Re: Straight, Offset, or Helical
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 03:23:37 pm »
I use a 3-fletch of 12cm (~4 3/4") offset feathers, and trim them with scissors after fletching.  Feathers are tied with sinew at the ends as well as a spiral wrap of back sinew along the entire length.  End wraps are 'painted' with warm hide glue, and then (after drying) with home-made spirit varnish to waterproof.  Works great.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 03:50:42 pm »
             Ok ...........just to confuse the issue I shoot a one fletch. A turkey or goose feather has a natural twist, so I guess its a slight helical. They shoot great (huntin'),course I don't shoot over 20 yards and under 12 yards or so I don't even use a feather. There's always one, isn't there ?...................bob

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 04:05:01 pm »
..........Oh yeah.forgot, there 6" long and natural shape.......bob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 04:42:29 pm »
I have always used a straight fletch with a slight offset. Sometimes I use 5 1/2" shields but mostly I have my own patern that I burn. Because of the shape of the feathers, even a straight fletch will spin an arrow. I found that for my self bows a helical fletch slows my arrows down too much and makes more noise than a straight fletch.  I use the same style fletch and arrows for everything...hunting or practice.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 06:50:30 pm »
I usually shoot either 5-inch 3-fletches with a bit of helical, or two-feather Eastern Woodlands style fletchings with about 180 degrees of helical.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 07:52:43 pm »
I like 3 fletch 5 inch with a slight offset.  Just make sure your offset and your feathers match, right or left wing.  ;D  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

jamie

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 09:25:54 pm »
lately ive preferred a bannanna cut with 5" helical. i shoot distance and this has been the best ive found.

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 10:14:04 pm »
4 3/4", shield cut, helical...

Tightens up quick!
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 10:19:25 pm »
   I shoot 5 1/2" straight with a slight offset.Or banana cut in four fletch.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 12:13:21 am »
5 1/2" sheild cut right helical always worked well for me, but I'm thinking about going to 4" for more clearance..... shorter brace.

bikermikearchery

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 08:25:35 am »
I've got allot of different bows so I have allot of different arrows. Mostly I've been going with straight fletch lately, but two fletch arrows like a bit of helical. Flu flus work better with a lot of helical.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 11:30:40 am »
I use 4 1/2 Turkey feather left wing straight with a slight off set.I put them on not trimmed and put a P&Y cut with scissors.3 Fletch.I use to use a heave helical but if the arrows are spine ed right I see no need like Pat it just slows them down. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 10:35:28 am »
5 1/2" shield cut, straight fletched with a 5 degree offset.  silent and accurate.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

perry

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 05:37:32 pm »
       When I use store cut fletching I use 4 x4 inch parabolic with a slight helical as they are not cut high enough for my liking . When I cut my own fletching I drop back to 3 x 4 1/2 inch fletching cut in a 5/8th inch high parabolic with a moderate helical . I use fletching tape because I'm lazy and its so much easier to refletch dipped or crested arrows as the glue invariably damages paint . regards Perry