Author Topic: A Tribute to the 2010 Tennessee Classic  (Read 12964 times)

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
A Tribute to the 2010 Tennessee Classic
« on: May 03, 2010, 12:39:43 am »
Some people like chipping rock and bending wood better than pecan pie. I gathered with them in a little valley south of Clarksville, Tennessee this weekend. I watched their satisfaction as they quenched a thirst, pulling a drawknife and carefully scrapping around knots, and I wondered what about being there made them the happiest.

I walked off the hill Friday afternoon and looked down on a flurry of activity at Twin Oaks and I thought how interesting it is that so many people can be brought so closely together by an enthusiasm for traditional archery and napping. Later that evening I sat at a table and watched my friend Jesse’s father blow pure passion through a harmonica as others strummed guitars with closed eyes and sang everything from Earl Skruggs to Skynyrd. It occurred to me at that point that this gathering, this primitive rendezvous, was more about the people than the wood and rock that brought them together.

For the better part of a week kindred souls smiled, hugged, shook hands and got to know one another. For some it was time to catch up since last May. For others it was a chance to associate a real live person with an Internet name. As greetings were exchanged the most common question surfaced, “It’s good to meet you. Now what is your PA handle?”

Names like Ridgerunner, nocams, hillbilly, cowboy, mullet, calendargirl, DanaM, GregB, wolfwatcher, Big A, cracker and The singing bowyer were given. First timers and repeat offenders alike soon asked where Pappy was so they could thank him for opening up his farm and being such a gracious host. Gifts are never expected but almost always exchanged. Wolfwatcher said he was given so much last year that he felt guilty leaving so he worked hard on some beautiful leather work to square things up. He drove in this year feeling pretty good about himself as he handed out return gifts only to receive a knife from GregB with ten minutes of arriving. “Heck, you can’t get ahead with these people,” he told me.

If generosity had a price the Twin Oaks crew would be worth a billion. They cut firewood and stacked it for free, they collected everyone’s trash and hauled it off, when the rains came they handed out straw, they laid out bows and they gave more advice than Dr. Phil, they set up showers and porta-potties, they did it all and they did it for free. Where else does that exist in the world today?
It’s a special place – that valley. A place where little boys want to be just like their daddies, where sweet little girls can be seen with pink feathers on their arrows. As for me it’s those people that I like. Yes, a lot of rocks became weapons and trees became bows but what was most rewarding was seeing their expressions over the vice and their conversations as they filed and scrapped. I found friendship at Twin Oaks. A unique friendship that is sadly not so common in the world today. I guess that’s why we cherish our little primitive gathering, and that’s why I’ll always do whatever I can to make sure I’m always present for the Classic. Until next year….

Offline FlintWalker

Re: A Tribute to the 2010 Tennessee Classic
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 12:44:23 am »
Amen brother!
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 12:46:21 am »
wow that was well written, it is EXACTLY how I feel about it all too.  I really enjoyed meeting everyone at the Classic and thanks to all that worked so hard to make it what it was.  i have never had a better time anywhere than there.  Looking forward to next year already!   :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 01:03:51 am »
You nailed it Jimmy! With all the other "stuff" going on it is definitely the people that bring me and everyone else back. Thanks for sharing your thoughts again with us.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 01:19:05 am »
sheesh RangerB that was very well written indeed
i was unable to go this year,so it is kinda like rubbing salt into an open wound
but also makes me want to get there even more next year.
i will take the rub of salt as i know how sweet it will be next year when i WILL be at the classic
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 08:51:02 am »
Jimmy, amen brother! I've been going through a very difficult time in my life. A lot of the PA folks knew what I was going through, and the support coming from the heart from folks that you don't see but maybe once a year was very touching to me and helps me work through this difficult time. Several concerned friends shed tears as they shared with me their own similar experiences and let me know that I'm not alone and there can be a bright future.

Was trully a special group gathered "in a little valley south of Clarksville, Tennessee this weekend"!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 11:22:32 am »
I'll second that.
Thanks so very much to all.
Loved it once again.
Until later
N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 11:39:04 am »
You hit the nail right on the head, Jimmy. If I had never touched a bow or a rock all weekend, I would still have had a great time. No finer group of people on the planet than the folks you find gathered up down in Pappy's holler.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 11:40:17 am »
You could not have said it better Jimmy....I spent two nights just listening and singing along with Chad...Steve...Tina....and of course Jesse's Father...and there is no one on this Earth that puts more of Himself into His Music and Singing as this Man does...He had Me with tears in my Eyes several time those Nights....to be able to Sing and Play like that after all He has been through in His Life...is just Humbling....makes Me wonder if I have an excuse to  get angry about anything that I have ever considered a Hardship or a Problem! I have never...and probably will never meet a bunch of better People in the rest of my Days on this here Earth... There are no People out there that are more giving of themselves.......and truly caring...than the People that Gather on the Bottom of this Tennessee Hollow every Spring....and I am so proud to be a Part of it....and will try to remain a Part for as Long as I find Possible....to some We may only look like a bunch of Rednecks....and overgrown Boys making Toys......but to Me You all are the Salt of the Earth...God Bless...and I got to go and wipe My Eyes.......
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 02:41:16 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline billy

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 12:05:04 pm »
Well Ranger B, I was gonna post a message but ya beat me to it.

First off, I wanted to give a HUGE thank you to Pappy, Primitive Archer, and all the people who put the Tenn. Classic together.  This was the first time I've ever been to it, and it was an amazing experience.  I was blown away at the sheer size of this thing.   I saw people being so generous and just giving lots of stuff away, so I tried to do the same by giving away several of my bird points to knappers who shared the pit with me.  The big pot luck dinner on Sat. night was amazing....in fact, my belly was so full that after dinner I couldn't get much air in my lungs to blow on the fire! 

I also got to finally meet so many of the people who I've spoken to online but never met face to face...until this weekend.  Guys like DanaM, Mullet, Sawfiler, Bryan Irwin, The singing bowyer, wolf watcher, ranger B, cowboy, leapingbare, calendargirl, Monroe Luther, among many others.  Others like Pat B, n2everything, Hillbilly, and Pat B, HFD60 and knight D I met last summer and got to see them again.   Everyone was so nice, and it's been a long time since I've had such a fun-filled weekend.  As a lot of ya'll probably know, the weather turned bad early Sat. morning and it rained for 16 hours STRAIGHT!  But even though little streams were running underneath the covered areas people were still making bows, socializing, and chipping tons of stone! I really think that primitive archery is such a grounding force that people who become involved in it become part of a very special "fraternity" so to speak...and it's the camaraderie that makes primitive archery so special. 

I got to see some incredible flintknapping skills, some beautiful bows, and got to meet some fantastic people.  Hell, EVERYONE was fantastic! 

You guys are awesome.  The Tenn. Classic was amazing, and I just wanted to thank everyone involved, from the cooks who made the food, to Pappy who hosts this so everyone can enjoy and share what primitive archery is all about.  I also came outta there with enough flakes to make about 300 billion bird points!!   You'll definitely see me there in the future!

Thanks again to everyone involved....it was incredible!! 

Thanks again     
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Kentb

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 12:34:37 pm »
Perfectly said, Ranger B. This was my first trip to the Classic, and did not know what to expect. I met some of the greatest most giving individuals in the world, and learned more in 3 days than I ever thought possible. I would like to thank everyone for all their help, it was great meeting you all, and you will  have to put up with me at the Classic for years to come.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 12:42:54 pm »
youbetcha eh as we say up here in da UP, don't think you will meet finer folk anywhere, see all useguys next year ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Jesse

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 01:12:43 pm »
Definitely worth the long drive. People there are  the best around. The fact that it rained hard and non stop for a few days didnt seem to make any difference at all. What a great time.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 03:52:36 pm »
glad to hear yall had a great time wish i could have made it oh well maybe next year
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline aero86

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 04:14:08 pm »
sounds like a blast!  maybe next year i could make it
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.