Author Topic: A Tribute to the 2010 Tennessee Classic  (Read 12965 times)

Offline bowstring

Re: A Tribute to the 2010 Tennessee Classic
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 04:17:37 pm »
   Amen brothers and sisters ;D I missed the Classic this year in body, but in spirit, Well, I watched the weather channel in tension, thinking of All the great people getting very wet. Was there last year, so Know how miserable it can be,,, Yet from the posts here, you know the hard work and dedication shown by the Incredible Twin Oaks People granted everyone the best time possible!!! One question though,, Does bending wood and breaking rock make such a gathering so special, or is it the  People involved that make it what it is? Perhaps it is a mixture, great people deeply drawn by primitave urges, destined to help and serve a most humble yearning in amazing ways. I wish All of you well, and Happy.  "bowstring"
"We are, what we do, when it counts"

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 04:48:58 pm »
I don't beleive that Breaking Rock and Bending Sticks with a bunch other than the Crew that We amass every Year...would ever be the Same...It is definitely the Quality of the People that We have that makes this Event what it has become...without their caring and giving attitudes....it just would not work.......JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 04:50:15 pm »
Well said Ranger! It was a great time despite the rain as already said. After a couple of days of the torrential downpours everyone was starting to look a little hagard and unshaven but still had smiles on their faces ;D. As I told Pappy, I'll be there come hell or high water next year and every year far as I'm concerned - what a great bunch of folks and a great time!!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 06:39:33 pm »
 It's gotta be the people and the great host. You never get that many people gathered that close without one argument unless everybody is special.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cheapshot

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 09:43:53 pm »
I had a great time!!!! I got to meet some new friends and re-establish friendships with "old" ones again. I had the best time Wed/Thur/Fri before the rains came on Sat!!! But that just let me stay closer to the knapping pit and the bowyers....so I could watch and learn. Maybe GregB will share some of his knowledge with me one of these days and I'll finish that hickory bow Allen started last year!!!!! Mark and Joanie were wonderful, helping and greeting and smiling thru out all of it!!! Thank you SO much for everything all of you do to make The Classic the success it is. We ain't skeered of no stinkin rain!!!!! We are Traditional and Primitive people!!!! They are the best there is anywhere!!!! ;D   Tomi Varnell

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 10:04:45 pm »
I can not imagine another scenario where you can recognize someone from a picture (full draw, facebook, etc), meet them for the first time and start talkin like good ol buddies within minutes! What an amazing gathering of fine people with an incredible amount of talent. Rain or shine (and we know which it'll be) I have plans on coming next year!  Thanks to all for the fun weekend of learning friendship and eating!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2010, 10:17:46 pm »
I would like to just say thanks to everyone for a great classic, like Jeff said I met so many strangers that spoke to me like they knew me my whole life, Rain just could not stop these people from having a great time, Thanks again to everyone. Bob

Offline Otis

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2010, 10:40:07 pm »
Well said Jimmy!!  I can't wait to get the "I survived the 2010 Classic" shirt. I 'll wear it with pride knowing that even though that was the wettest one yet it was maybe the best one I've been to yet. I had a great time shooting half the course with you and talking with you at your table. Glad I got a autographed book from you and I'll cherish it.
                                                                     David

Offline TRACY

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2010, 11:32:43 pm »
Amen Ranger!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2010, 02:05:49 am »
David(Otis) thanks for more good times, stories, pepper poppers and your secret stash(beer  ;D ). Talking and listening to you and Bro Dan showed me who you guys really are and I can really appreciate that!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Timo

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2010, 09:03:24 am »
Jeff, I heard that you had a very good Classic?  ;)

I whooped up on that piece of Talahatta the other day....Tough stuff!

Offline StevenT

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 11:20:39 am »
Back home in good old Kentucky, we have a description that is reserved for a select few. When you hear the words  “He’s good people”, you know instantly the person being described is someone you can trust with no reservations. It’s a simple phrase, but it carry’s deep meaning and is used sparingly. I just attended my first Classic. I would not hesitate to use “He’s good people” when talking about the group of people I meet this weekend. It is very difficult to describe the true “from the heart” welcome feeling a person experiences at the classic.  There is a reason people travel from all over the world to gather in that valley --- and that is to be with family. Brothers and Sisters all.  And that is what I felt this weekend, like I was at home with long lost family.

Actually, for me, it was like going back to a magical time in my past. When I was a very young boy, my Uncle had a place similar to PappyLand. He held bow shoots and people traveled from all over the US to attend. It was no were near as big as Twin Oaks, but it carried the same warm feeling of people gathering and having a great time. These gatherings went  on for many of my early years until my Uncle passed on. This weekend I was able to go back in time and live  some of those wonderful memories all over again. The gathering place was different, the wonderful people that welcomed me was different and the family that gathered was different. But the magic was the same.

Rain be damned, it was a great weekend. All I can say is  “THANK YOU” for adding another chapter to my memories and I look forward to the next.
  StevenT

Offline Badger

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2010, 01:15:49 pm »
   That sounds like about as close to heaven as a person could get without dieing. I won't miss the next one. Nothing better than good company. Pappy had done a wonderful job with the classic. Steve

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2010, 01:23:59 pm »
Man, I am already lookin forward to next year, is it too soon to start countin days?   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2010, 01:30:53 pm »
No Josh....it ain't too early....got 358 more days for Me.... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome