Author Topic: what to put in my "just in case" kit?  (Read 7004 times)

Offline recurve shooter

what to put in my "just in case" kit?
« on: May 05, 2010, 10:29:22 am »
hi guys. over the summer my friend and i are going to be spending alot of time on or arond the watter, fishing, camping, running lines, whatever, and im trying to put togeather a little "just in case" kit. i dont really want to say its a survival kit cuz we stay pretty local and i dont see anything really serious happening, but i stull like to have a little gear with me just in case. i have an old military amo tin, for .45 amo, so its one of the smaller ones. trying to pack it full of goodies. so far i got a knife, some 22 amo, a lighter, a roll of  nylon string, a handfull of hooks, some hotmelt glue, then i ran out of ideas. i know yall are good at this kinda stuff, so what do you suggest? thanks for takeing time to throw in your .02.
lets just shoot it

Offline aero86

Re: what to put in my "just in case" kit?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 11:51:57 am »
a small bag of peanuts, a good size wad of dryer lint(for tender).  i know you said a knife, but find a good swiss army knife.  never hurts to have two knifes, plus youll have small scissors, a small saw as well, plus, a tooth pick!  who doesnt need that in a survival situation! got get one of those small first aid kits from walmart, or build one yourself.  if your gonna be shooting your bow, an extra bow string.  you might even try to find one of those wire saws as well.  maybe a couple pairs of those surgical gloves..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 02:04:24 pm »
tablets for making drinking water
45# at 27"

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 02:06:00 pm »
some small sinkers to go with those hooks.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 04:22:18 pm »
Super glue, duct tape. There are always uses for both of those.  ;D
small mag lite or similar flashlight, 9vlot battery and some steel wool for strating a fire, some nylon cord, beef jerky, sewing thread and a needle. Options are limitless. Put everything in that you think you might need for any situation. So far lots of good ideas. Good luck.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 05:52:30 pm »
yeah if you already have the case you're going to use, you might as well fill it up. a small spool of spiderwire or similar fishing line could be useful for fishing, sewing, and many other things i'm sure.

Compass
45# at 27"

Offline aero86

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 06:06:37 pm »
ohhh, zipties too!  not very permanent, but they are quick and tight for a while. 

my just in case bag(s) are attached to my quiver.  i like it!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 08:37:58 pm »
holywuheh useguys haven't told him to pack some buttwipe, thought you were all rednecks, never leave home without it ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 08:55:45 pm »
holywuheh useguys haven't told him to pack some buttwipe, thought you were all rednecks, never leave home without it ;D
Rednecks use leaves....  Which reminds me, don't forget the book that identifies poison ivy, poison oak and such.  O:)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 09:04:08 pm »
Justin dumbas rednecks use leaves da smart ones pack some Charmin LOL
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

HatchA

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 09:32:28 pm »
Justin dumbas rednecks use leaves da smart ones pack some Charmin LOL

Good to know you've got your priorities straight!!  And comfort seems top of the list with Charmin... ;)

Offline Jesse

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 11:48:18 pm »
I have a small fanny pack I carry on backwoods trips. I managed to stuff all of this stuff inside carefully packed. You would never guess all this is inside :)
whistle
4'x6' heavy plastic sheeting for tarp
waterproof matches in a film roll case
lighter
emergency blanket
emergency poncho
compass
plenty of b 50 dacron to make a string or whatever
shoe laces
duct tape wrapped around a piece of arrow shaft
flashlight
first aid kit + 50 mg tabs of benadryl in case of allergic reaction
sewing kit
twist ties
large knife
fishing kit
candle
part of a fire starter log pounded flat and put in a ziplock
super glue
water purification tabs
candy
toilet paper in a ziplock

"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 10:17:40 am »
wow. thats a ton of stuff i didnt think about. i gotta make a trip to wallyworld. i really like the steel wool and ninevolt, and the candle idea. also the heavy plastic sheet. if i ever actually need this stuff its prolly gunna be wet wherever i am, so that would really help. thanks for all the ideas guys.

Jesse, what is an emergency blanket? is that the tin foil looking thing?
lets just shoot it

Offline stickbender

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 07:25:03 am »

Recurve, what those guys said, and about four heavy duty large gabage, or leaf bags.  Go to a feed store, and see if they have leg wraps.  They come in different colors.  It is what we used on the rescue rigs, called co ban, that you can buy in drug stores, but smaller and about $3.50, and up, but the leg wrap is the same stuff, just colored, and longer rolls, and cheaper, which, you can use as is or cut into the size you want.  Great for taping broken or cracked ribs. It is great for wrapping bandages with, and a bunch of other uses.  It is a tacky, stretch type bandage.  Get some four by four gauze pads.  Some black pepper.  It stops small cuts from bleeding immediately.  Doesn't sting but a tiny bit at first, and then it is gone.  But sure works.  Also some salt.  You need to have salt in your body, to replenish the salts you sweat out.
And of course some Cajun spice powder.  Makes survival food taste a whole lot better.  Some tea bags, small pot to boil water, cook in, gather water, etc.  Since you are going to wally world, get a magnesium bar with the sparking bar on it.  Cut an old hack saw blade the same length, grind a long bevel edge on the non saw edge, and a chisel edge on the end, that you cut, and put the chain on the magnesium bar in the hole in the hack saw blade, and you have a great fire starter, with out having to ruin your knife edge shaving off magnesium and striking the sparking bar.  Just wrap the hack saw blade with paper, or something to keep it from laying against the magnesium bar, since it causes an electrolysis, and makes a corrosion. A belt knife, fixed blade, and a pocket knife, and small stone. But  definitely get a good Swiss Arm knife, with saw, scissors, etc.
I carry my Gerber tool, with scissors, can opener, screw drivers, knife blade, file, with a mill style on one side, and diamond on the other.  Also googgle tool logic.  It is a knife with a sparking bar that has a rubber O ring that secures it in the knife handle.  The blade,is a half serrated, and is Sharp, and good steel, and the handle has a loud whistle, and a lanyard hole.  It is  are single bladed folding knifes, and are really great survival knives, the back of the blade has a notched section, to use for sliding on the sparking rod.  The sparking rod will catch note book paper on fire!  They run around $ 24-27 dollars, depending on where you find them.  Pm me and I will tell you where I got mine, plus the Swedish military knives.  Good luck with your adventure, and of course be careful, four legged critters aren't the only things that might cause you problems..... ;)
                                                                             Wayne

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 12:33:58 am »

Good luck with your adventure, and of course be careful, four legged critters aren't the only things that might cause you problems..... ;)
                                                                             Wayne

thanks for the info. and i learned this part very early in life lol.  ;D
lets just shoot it