Author Topic: Life list Find (Pics Added)  (Read 6123 times)

Offline NTD

Life list Find (Pics Added)
« on: May 06, 2010, 02:38:53 am »
Went out road crusing for snakes tonight.  Saw a good amount of snakes.  2 live Western Diamondbacks, 2 dead.  3 Longnoses (alive) 1 Dead Lyre snake, 1 live gopher and 2 dead.  And the life list find....an Arizona Coral Snake. ;D ;D Alive!!  Probably about 16-18 inches and PERTY!!!  Will post pics tomorrow.  I know for some of you guys it aint much but it sure got my blood pumping!!!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 04:11:15 am by NTD »
Nate Danforth

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Life list Find
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 02:45:58 am »
did Ya keep the Coral Snake......... ???
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline NTD

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 02:56:38 am »
I didn't take my camera...so I'm keeping it overnight so I can take some pictures and then it's going back where I found it tommorow.  If they didn't have such a specialized diet I'd be tempted to keep it.
Nate Danforth

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 10:19:00 am »
cool! all we got is cotton mouths lol.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 11:01:30 am »
That's awesome Nate.  Great find!  All I find in the roads down here are chicken snakes and copperheads...  :(
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Lombard

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 11:09:14 am »
Josh, if you have any friends that are loggers, you might try to get in the woods when they are harvesting. It stirs up the snakes. I have gone several times and always see snakes; when it is warm out anyway. Almost had a dead Timber Rattler, that got caught by the skidder chains. It tore it up badly, so it was unusable for bows.

Offline NTD

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 11:12:00 am »
Recurve, You sure do have more than Cotton Mouths down there!!! You've got quite a few species in your neck of the woods.  Josh, I WISH we had copperheads.  Maybe someday we can do a trade for some.
Nate Danforth

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 11:22:48 am »
That's awesome Nate.  Great find!  All I find in the roads down here are chicken snakes and copperheads...  :(

Ain't nothing wrong with either of them...both will back a Bow nicely...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 12:52:24 pm »
yeah there are a few different species, but the cotton mouths are the easyest to find. i wish i could find a copperhead.
lets just shoot it

HatchA

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 02:03:53 pm »
Only snakes we have here are in the reptile house at the zoo, ever since Saint Pat sent them all slithering away on their bellies... >:(

Interfering old Welsh git!!  ;D

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 06:41:04 am »

Come on down here, we have coral snakes, rattle snakes, copper heads, cotton mouths, garter snakes, black snakes, coach whips, puff adders, or leaf nosed snakes, vine snakes, water snakes, rat snakes, red ones, and yellow ones, too, and boas, reticulated pythons, cobras, and probably an assortment of other deadly ones to boot.  :o   Be "VERY "Careful with that Coral snake.  It has a neuro toxin.  Similar to Cobra venom.   Bad stuff.  Don't take much.  Even "baby" poisonous snakes, can kill, or cause serious problems !!  :o

Wayne

Offline NTD

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 11:09:51 am »
Thanks Wayne, There has never been a recorded death from an Arizona Coral Snake, only your Eastern Corals have any deaths to their name, and that's few and far between.  According to the local venom docs a bite from an Arizona Coral, doesn't constitute a medical emergency.  I'd be much more worried bout our local scutulatus or atrox ;)
Nate Danforth

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 05:54:43 pm »

NTD send them Wussy corals down here, and let them get properly trained in the art of injection........ ;D ;D
Yeah, we have had a few deaths, mostly kids picking them up.  But like you say few and far between.  They are not as active as the other species, and generally hide during the day, so they are not seen as often as the other snakes, and so there are fewer bites, hence fewer deaths.  We used to have quite a few at our fire station.  Rather large ones also.  About two feet.  They caught one, and put it in a bag, and put it in the freezer, and then "artistically" arranged it in a coiled striking position, and waited till the next morning, when the next shift took over, and they put it in the Med Box, and casually, watched as the next shift's Medic, opened the med box, to do the morning truck checks.  Since he was very scared of snakes, the effect was indeed, more than we had anticipated  ;D :o......as soon as he opened the box up all the way, and saw the snake, he still had the box in his hand, he slung box, snake, and contents all over the bay, and rose up, and quickly backed across the bay and slammed into the engine.  :o  Glad they didn't get a call......but they had a back up box.  ;) Yes we did help him pick up the contents, ;) .......after he calmed down.......and the cussing and threats subsided......Oh, yeah, your tax dollars at work...... 8) ;D ;D

Wayne

Offline NTD

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 09:23:31 pm »
Great Story Wayne.  Do you guys do quite a bit of the snake removal callls?  The Fire District I live in outside of Tucson, is sick of doing it. 
Nate Danforth

Offline stickbender

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 09:41:06 pm »

I am retired now, but we did an occasional removal.  Removed a 7 or 8 foot Boa, from a horse stall.  Had some people bring their kid in with a dead water snake, that bit him.  Before it was killed of course...... ;D  The guys in Miami are busy as heck.  They have Venom One, which is a specialized med unit just for snake bites.  They keep a refrigerator full of various types of antivenom.  Including the exotics.   Yeah, it can be a nuisance, but that is what you get the big bucks for........ ;)  They would call Animal Control, and rather than come all the way out to our area, they would just say, to call the FD, or Sherriff's Office.  For some reason, before they cleared the area, and put in a public park, we were always finding Coral Snakes around the outside of the station.  We had a lot of toads, but I don't know if that was a reason or not, but we would lift the pallet up at the edge of the concrete driveway, and there would usually be one under that, or some other item they could crawl under to hide.

Wayne