Author Topic: think the kid wants a bow?  (Read 4888 times)

Offline recurve shooter

think the kid wants a bow?
« on: May 06, 2010, 05:55:43 pm »
my mom's boyfriend has two boys, one is into guitars and vidio games, and is an awsome kid. the other is a little clone of how i was when i was his age. he loves hunting, fishing, and just being outside, so he loves when i show up lol. anyway when i showed up last weekend he went running in his room and came out with this. its a little wrist rocket he modified to shoot a carbon arrow he found at a garrage sale. check this out. creative kid aint he?

later that day we cut down a couple of oak saplings to play around with. this is what he ended up with and he thought it was the greatest thing sence sliced bread.

not sure how that hinge happened, green wood is a pain. but he sat down with my tomahawk for about an hour or more and made this all by his self. i was pretty impressed. over the summer im going to bring him to my grandpa's house where all my tools are and we are gunna try to get him a decend redoak bow built. i just wish i was a little bit better of a bowyer so i could teach him a little better.  :-\

now i just got to get it through his head that just cuz it moves dont mean you need to kill it lol. ::)
lets just shoot it

half eye

Re: think the kid wants a bow?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 07:09:10 pm »
Hey recurve,
         Get that boy a bow and a few arrows .....if he shoots with the same dedication as he builds bows....the little critters could probably use some kevlar ;D.....speakin of kevlar's....they are real tricky to skin out, that's how come it costs so much.
Rich

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 07:29:33 pm »
Rich....You sure that you don't have Yooper Blood running in your veins.... O:)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 07:39:44 pm »
speakin of kevlar's....they are real tricky to skin out, that's how come it costs so much.
Rich

lol.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 07:42:30 pm »
Tell him I love his fashion sense, how can ya not like a kid in da swampers eh :) Wish i had a bow set to go because it be on the way with his name on it :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 08:31:14 pm »
lol yup with this little feller its a mix between barefoot, coona$$ reboks ( uh, da swampers eh?) lol, and soccar cleats. lol

i want him to have a hand in makeing his bow, so the first chance i get me and him are gunna start him one. only thing i can make is a board bow, so it'll be some kinda redoak bow for him hopefully. cant wait to get him to kill something with a bow. this kid kills more skwirls with his little 30 dollar walmart pellet gun than i kill with a shotgun lol.

oh, he has a name lol. its coleton or colton, i dont remember how to spell it lol.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 09:14:18 pm »
haha the arrow shooter is straight badass.  That kind of craftiness an ingenuity are priceless.  Put a whisker biscuit on it and bam...deer-killer.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 09:26:20 pm »
haha the arrow shooter is straight badass.  That kind of craftiness an ingenuity are priceless.  Put a whisker biscuit on it and bam...deer-killer.

it impressed the crap out of me. just wait till he discovers black powder.  :o give him a pipe a marble a and a lighter and watch what happens. lol.
lets just shoot it

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 11:52:19 pm »
yep....I made a SlingShot Bow ...years ago...shoots about 160 through a Chrony...with Carbon Arrows
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 06:14:10 am »

Swamper's?  Shoot, boy, them boots is Fire Boots! ;D  Very good for you Recurve, I hope you do get to sit with him and make a nice little bow for him.  Yeah, it is a big temptation, to shoot at anything that moves, when you are that age.
What part of La. are you in? 

Wayne

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 10:11:43 am »
thanks stickbender. i live in hammond, about ten minutes from lake marapaus. he lives about fourty miles west of me in a little hole in the wall town called french settlement.
lets just shoot it

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 06:07:23 pm »

Tell him I said " Tres Bon"...... ::)

Wayne

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 10:10:03 am »
Ya I would say that boy needs a bow,that was a yooper idea,very cool that he came up with it,Guess that El. is just a child at heart. :)
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 01:12:37 pm »
I heard it in a Song....Long Ago Pappy....

You Never Grow Up.....You Never Grow Old

and I am just checking it out to see if there is anything to it........... >:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xixFm35xkzg
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 01:15:58 pm by El Destructo »
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 10:59:18 pm »
Dang, Trey, you were here and never said you had a student.   I could have sent you home with a stick of wood for his bow.  Or......cut down the one you brought over here and make yourself a  heavier one. 

piper