Author Topic: Tiller help please???  (Read 1758 times)

Offline Easternarcher

Tiller help please???
« on: May 07, 2010, 08:42:52 am »
Well, I'm working on this BBI for a friend. I'm close on tiller and weight (45-50lbs at 25"), but in the pics and in person it looks like I got imbalance about midlimb on the right side.

I even graduated the limbs on both sides to measure the tiller distance to the string and the most I'm out on the right is 3/16ths greater about midlimb. Doesn't seem like that's enough to show me what I'm seeing.
Can any of you more experienced bowyers have a look pleas and off your 2 cents worth? Thanks alot.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
Re: Tiller help please???
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 09:27:27 am »
The left limb I think is close bending just a bit to much where I marked it and the right limb is bending to much in the area I marked with the red. I would fix the right limb and then take a look and see how the left is looking at that point..

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 09:35:58 am »
Knightd has got it...
I'd let the tips do more work, so take a tad off the last third of each, and maybe a whisker in towards the fades as there doesn't seem to be any flex in the third nearest the handle.
Make a nice big pencil mark on each limb where knightd has marked in red and just don't touch 'em there until the whole limb is working more.
(It would be interesting to have an unstrung pic on the tiller there too so we can see what's moving most.)
Del
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 09:39:22 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 09:43:36 am »
THANKS GUYS. i'LL HAVE TO LOOK WHEN i GET HOME....CAN'T SEE PICS AT WORK. ???
I knew I had too much bend in the midlimb on the right. I have an unstrung pic, but forgot to include it.
Later tonite.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 07:28:13 pm »
Knightd has got it...
I'd let the tips do more work, so take a tad off the last third of each, and maybe a whisker in towards the fades as there doesn't seem to be any flex in the third nearest the handle.
Make a nice big pencil mark on each limb where knightd has marked in red and just don't touch 'em there until the whole limb is working more.
(It would be interesting to have an unstrung pic on the tiller there too so we can see what's moving most.)
Del

Dell here's an unstrung profile you asked for.

Dave, How would you fix that right limb? Take abit off the out limb? I didn't want to take off too much at this stage in case I ruined the whole dang thing. Maybe abit off the fades as Del says too?
Thanks for the help BTW.
Archer

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 09:14:25 pm »
I would work the fade and mid limb and try to get it bending a bit more.. just go slow and steady.. ;)

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 09:25:41 pm »
I would work the fade and mid limb and try to get it bending a bit more.. just go slow and steady.. ;)

OK, now just so ya know....this thing is still full length(66") and I plan on piking it by 1.5-2" at both limbs....
It's a short draw, so I'm hoping that's OK to do.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 02:13:18 pm »
Ah, now we see the unstrung pic, we can see it is doing some work near the fades...hard to see how much (but that's always the case as there's never rarely much movement there)
I'd work on that last third.
What do you mean by 'piking' ?
Anyhow she's lookin good.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 08:21:40 pm »
Ah, now we see the unstrung pic, we can see it is doing some work near the fades...hard to see how much (but that's always the case as there's never rarely much movement there)
I'd work on that last third.
What do you mean by 'piking' ?
Anyhow she's lookin good.
Del
Del, since the bow right now is 66 in. and my friend's draw is only 25in. or so, I plan to pike(shorten the limbs on both ends by about 1.5in. each or so to give him a bow around  60-62 ntn. That'll keep me in the weight range as well.
I haven't tackled this yet as I had a project to do for Mom (Mother's Day ya know). Hi Mom!