Author Topic: How do you ship a stave  (Read 3803 times)

Online osage outlaw

How do you ship a stave
« on: May 09, 2010, 03:02:23 am »
I was wondering how in the world do you ship a bow stave?  Also, about how much does it cost?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: How do you ship a stave
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 03:15:10 am »
I always send Mine USPS...if it's just a Stave...I wrap it in Paper...and Duct Tape the Crap out of it...You just have to make sure that the whole demensions don't add up to more than 108 inches...length plus Girth...also the weigth will get you on the Price....especially if it is Green
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline tahgahjute

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 10:21:36 am »
i just roll it up in thin cardboard wrap i get from work,flip the ends over and tape it with clear packaging tape.i send em usps.they do charge extra once it's past a certain length.

Offline lowell

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 10:38:31 am »
Like El D said some paper and tape.  I put a few extra layers of paper or padding on what might be the back of the bow if the rings don't need to be chased.

I have shipped for the lowest price of about $12.00 and into the mid $20. This was from the US post offfice.  I think it has to be really long to be charged extra!!  maybe like 80 "
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 10:44:08 am »
Always ship it by the post office, not UPS. After mailing a bunch of them over the years, the method I've settled on is to wrap it up in about half a roll of Saran Wrap, throw some packing tape around it in a few spots, slap a label on it, and put it in the mail. Usually costs anywhere from $10-to $25 to ship one depending on where its going and how much it weighs. It's a good idea to get it down as small as possible before shipping it to save weight.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 12:01:46 pm »
USPS for sure!!!   I do as said above.  You can check out the USPS website for dimensions and weight.  Odd shaped packages are charged extra so get it as small as possible and as regular of a shape as possible. With the USPS website you can get a pretty good idea what it will cost.   Do not insure the package. I add "delivery confirmation"(small additional cost) so if lost it can be tracked.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

HatchA

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 02:08:52 pm »
I've been told that post offices won't ship items longer than 60" though. Or is that to do with length x width etc?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 04:32:42 pm »
I've been told that post offices won't ship items longer than 60" though. Or is that to do with length x width etc?

I've shipped a truckload of stuff a lot longer than 60" through the post office over the years. As El D said, the magic number is 108" length+girth. You can still ship stuff bigger than that, but you'd better have a pocket full of money when you do.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 06:11:06 pm »

Hatch...you are correct for the UK...and Australia...they have cut back to 60 inches...I used to sell Bows in Australia a lot...but since this Rule...it's either a Take Down Bow...or a Plains Style Pony Bow...thats all you can send......In the USA...it  108" length+girth.
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Online osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 08:38:37 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I have some thin ringed osage staves that I thought I would offer up free to anybody that wants to cover shipping.  I'll have to see what I have and post in the trading post.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 10:29:52 pm »
 Hatch, that's shipping to Europe. I've shipped a boatload over 75" here. You can ship anything by Postal if you are willing to pay the price. And usually, it's not really that bad.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

DCM4

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 11:48:40 am »
I cut 'em down to reasonable size, and knock off any sharp edges or ends on the bandsaw.  It gets the splinters off and cuts down on the weight/cost.  Then I just tape a couple of address labels on and mail it bare wood.  Can't hurt osage no how.  Usually if you stay inside of 70" on overall lenght you avoid the size surcharge alluded to above, the 108" rule.  Costs me $10 to $15 depending, USPS.