Author Topic: Things don't always go as planned  (Read 6501 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Things don't always go as planned
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 11:41:30 am »
Nice work Shanon,beautiful,all of them. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline StevenT

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 01:15:23 pm »
I think I like the point "fixed up" better than the original. Nice stuff all.

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 05:23:16 pm »
Really nice flaking, Shannon!  Any one of those would look real good in one of my frames. ;D

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2010, 10:06:11 pm »
Shannon, Don't ya hate it when ya drop them. Looks like you had some nice deep narrow notches before the opps, still a real good looking point. I like the  rest also, nice work Shannon.  Bob

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2010, 09:31:57 am »
Your "mistakes", would be accomplishments for most folks. Turned out very nice as normal.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2010, 11:52:25 am »
Very well put Greg....I would be enthralled if I could make a Point half as good as Shannon's Boo_- Boo's....  ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Jboyd

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2010, 07:29:38 pm »
Those are some great looking points I haven't been knapping long how long will it take me to make points like that?

What rock do you suggest for beginners?

Thanks Jamie

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2010, 11:37:50 pm »
Thank you all. I'm humbled by your comments :-[
 Jamie, I've been knapping for a little over a year now. If you stay with it, it shouldn't take long.
 As for rock...the cheaper the better!  You'll use up a lot of rock learning.  Novaculite or burlington would be good choices.  I learned to pressure flake with glass.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2010, 01:26:27 am »
Shannon I want to send u some NY stone its so abundant here if I crack open a 10lb rock and I dont like the looks of it I toss it over the hill  I have a few thousand pounds of Onondaga chert and going for a load of Esopus.  Im still on search for Normanskill I found the areas its in but havent got to it yet.  Let me know I would like to see what u can do with it.

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2010, 01:37:44 am »
Russ, I can always use more rock! ;D I'd offer to trade you some Ky blue...but I don't have much of it. I can offer you some turkey feathers for some though. I have plenty of those.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline nocams

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2010, 10:48:42 am »
Awesome looking points and work Shannon ! Love the ones that look like the Simmons Sharks with the concave radius. Bet them things would open a wide hole !

nocams

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2010, 08:07:45 pm »
Ill just give u some this stuff is tough beyond tough then when u think u got it it snapps hit me a pm with ur addy I'll try and send u some chunks alot of people dont like it cause its really hard but yet it can be brittle...its crazy.  I like it 1 cause its free 2 it brings me as close to the iroquios as Im going to get 3 when u get it to work for u it looks real rustic and its hard and sharp.  I would hate to make a trade and it dont work out I also want to try it slabbed up on a rock saw.  Anyway my reasons are that I like ur work and are curious to see what u can do with it so let me know what u want to do?

Cheers
Russ

[attachment deleted by admin]
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2010, 08:52:13 pm »
awesome shannon
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2010, 08:53:33 pm »
It looks tough!  I'll try anything once ;D My addy is on the first page of the TN Classic Point case raffle thread. ;)
 I'll at least refund your shipping expense.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2010, 11:34:02 pm »
 I've tried slabbing it and then pressure flaking a point. You better have some massive arm and shoulder muscles. :o
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?