Author Topic: Electricity question.  (Read 9752 times)

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Electricity question.
« on: May 11, 2010, 11:16:42 am »
 Let me start by saying that electricity and myself don't get along to well.

Ok i have this Kiln that runs off 240v I need to be able to run it off 120v.
Dose all the wiring need to be replaced or just the power cord?
Mililani Hawaii

Offline dmassphoto

Re: Electricity question.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 11:24:46 am »
Let me start by saying that electricity and myself don't get along to well.

Ok i have this Kiln that runs off 240v I need to be able to run it off 120v.
Dose all the wiring need to be replaced or just the power cord?

Don't quote me on this, cause I'm not the best at electricity either, but I think all that needs to happen is if you buy one of those converters from Walmart.  It may not work though if the plug on the kiln isn't European.

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 11:29:39 am »
its got a dryer plug on it now.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 11:36:32 am »
I just had a wild idea.
I have a power outlet on the back of my house it has two 120v outlets. could i rewire that to have one 240v outlet? and would that run my kiln?
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 11:57:56 am »
Nearly all homes have 2 120 lines and a nuetral. You need to have a 220 plug wired up from your fuse box. You cant just put together two 120 plugs because they are likely going to be off the same 120 leg. You can probably get it done for around $100.00 if you shop around a bit. Steve

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 12:03:14 pm »
you will need to run a new wire to a new plug to do it rite if you have a breaker box outside  you can set it up there come out of it with the 220 to wherever you want it to go and put your plug on the end of it  and thats it. and make shure that you come off of both legs for you 220 and not the same leg call me if you need help

361-935-1715
sterling lynch

GL and ttyl  ;)
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 12:12:49 pm »
Jesse .....You might look at the diagram on the Kiln...and see if it says 110/220.....some are convertible...some are not....depends on the size of the heating element.....too big of an element....and they won't heat enough when converted to 110....how often are you going to use this? May be better off to just plug it in where your Dryer is...whenever you use it....that's what I do with my Crackerbox Welder.....
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 12:16:27 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 01:03:32 pm »
I would suggest that you pay an electrician. I would hate to see you electricute yourself over a couple of $.  It is usually possible to change it to 110 since most 220 appliances have two heating elements, or an element and a control module, each runs on a different 110 leg of the 220. However, if the kiln wasn't designed for it you risk burning up the kiln and the house.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 01:42:00 pm »
Don't know for sure but am really glad you are finely going to get that thing out of my way. ;) ;D ;D
You may ask Don/Kevin or Jeff mayo,they are all good electricans and I am sure would be glad to help you out. :) :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 01:55:20 pm »
Pappy....is it that big beast of a Pottery Kiln that I seen near the knapping pit? Man ....I bet you are glad to see that going.... >:D.....Yeh you have a few Electricians in the Club don't you....Dang Jesse....just make em some point....and they may cut you a good deal.....  ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 02:47:14 pm »

Take this from someone who has built power lines for the past 13 years....

Hire yourself a good electrician to install a dedicated plug for the kiln.  Some place where the heat will not get into your house.
It will draw a good peal of power over a long period of time.

It can burn your house down if it is not set up correctly.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 04:07:39 pm »

As a former Fire Fighter, I agree with Ridgerunner.  Pay the Electrician!  Unless you are looking for insurance money........ ::)

Wayne

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 04:34:15 pm »
Thanks guys.
 Pappy i spoke with Dave on the phone about it and I've also spoke to Jeff. The data plate on the kiln said 115/230 so i am guessing thats the range of volts it can run off of. i know it wont get as hot on 120v then 220v but the max temp is 2500* and i only need it to go to 900* max so I'm sure 120v will be enough. so only thing i need to do is change the male plug on the cord or find an adaptor.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 05:44:49 pm »
Also Jesse....220 volt is cheaper to run on than 110/120 is.....but since it heat that Hot.....man I ain't never seen a Pottery Kiln get that hot.....but if it does....should be no problem cooking rock at a lower voltage....jmo
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 07:22:38 pm »
It really isn't going to get hotter on 220 than 110. I would still have an electrician wire you a 220 for it in the garage though. If you do decide to use 110 you will want to use a minimum of 12 guage wire with a 20 amp breaker which probably means running a new circut anyway.

Depending on how often you are going to use it, you could have the electrician build you a power cord and run it from the dryer plug in the laundry room.  ???
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah