Author Topic: heat treating shafts  (Read 8893 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: heat treating shafts
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 05:19:57 pm »
I have not tried it with store bought shafting. When I made POC arrows a little hand straightening was all it took with no heat.   The should be plenty of shoot and cane shafts there at the Classicso I can show you on them if you want.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 07:44:50 pm »
I have not tried it with store bought shafting. When I made POC arrows a little hand straightening was all it took with no heat.   The should be plenty of shoot and cane shafts there at the Classicso I can show you on them if you want.

Pat,
  Sorry I wasn't able to get in touch with you at the Classic, but I did come home and try to heat treat my shafts over a stove, by holding them about 2-3in above, hands on either side, and slowly turning them.  One thing I noticed was that when the arrows got pretty hot, they bent like no other.  Is this normal, or should there be another method, like placing them in an oven or something?

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 11:53:46 am »
Just wondering if anyone else has more info on my above post.  Thanks!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 06:05:46 pm »
I do all my arrow straightening over our stove top. Works well. Heating wood makes it very bendable.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 06:17:19 pm »
I do all my arrow straightening over our stove top. Works well. Heating wood makes it very bendable.

Do you have any sort of special technique when you're heating them over the stove?  I was turning mine slowly, but they were bending pretty good.  Should I have pulled while I was turning?  I have one shaft that looks like it was bent around a tree lol.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 06:21:23 pm »
If you are just trying to do an overall straightening and not just in one place keep it moving as you spin the shaft. I have honestly never heat bent and cedar or other store bought shafts. I usually just do it with my hands without heat.

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 06:23:36 pm »
If you are just trying to do an overall straightening and not just in one place keep it moving as you spin the shaft. I have honestly never heat bent and cedar or other store bought shafts. I usually just do it with my hands without heat.

Ok, I'm really not looking to heat-straighten, just heat treat them so they're a little stronger/stiffer.  I was told once that I should heat treat them since they're prone to bending so much after shooting. 

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2010, 12:55:38 am »
I just boil a pot of water and put shafts over the pot with a piece of foil for a few minutes then simply bend them on my knee or lip of counter.  I think i saw a hand held device u might be able to copy urself that straightens arrows...my 2 cents..

AA
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2010, 01:10:39 am »
Most store bought shafts I've bought(POC and Ash) have kept their straightness well enough so only hand straightening was enough to keep them flying. Never heat treated any of them.
 When I make shoot or cane arrows I do heat threat them to maintain straightness. Most of this shafting is quite crooked when harvested so they have to be taught to be straight and stay straight.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2010, 06:11:07 pm »
If we are talking a hand cut of machine cut shafts then my first step is hand straightening. Second step is bend the shaft slightly the other way and burnish it. That;s usually more than enough. Sometimes I have to heat  straighten but that means the shaft is pretty badly bent. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Online mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2010, 11:59:07 pm »
 Straightening with heat or steam is one thing, trying to temper the arrow with heat is asking for a lot of trouble and possible injury.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

half eye

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2010, 04:16:34 pm »
Hey bud,
       Was following the thread and maybe this will help ya out a little. First, I make hardwood arrow shafts and not shoots and all of mine are 3/8 diam......but, I can tell you that black walnut is real flexible (really felxible) on matter what form it's in. There is an ancient tool made for straightening shafts that ya can make your self. (attached some pics of mine)
       The other fellas told ya right about straightening with their hands and no heat. But if you get a real bad bend, kink etc. this little tool will get it out ;D  The tool makes heat by friction, burnishes and applies straightening pressure all at the same time, which is pretty cool.
       The first pic is the back of the tool, the second is the belly of the tool and the third is how it goes on the shaft.  You hold it like a frying pan and rub it quickly back and forth (creats heat and pressure) I'm sure ya can figure out how to use it. I check and straighten all my arrows before every session in the woods, I just consider it part of the "process". Hope this may be of some use to you. Just make it out of a "soft" wood, and make sure the knot-hole is big enough to get an arrow head through so you can use it after the arrow is made also.
Rich

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2010, 06:10:07 pm »
Thats a nifty device Rich Im going to have to ask u about it next time we talk!  As far as the thread goes the original poster isnt the guy who keeps responding its ok I guess but the jumping around on someone elses thread can get confusing. 

Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2010, 07:02:18 pm »
Well I didn't think it prudent to start a whole new thread considering we're talking about more/less the same subject.  Having two different posts about the same thing is confusing in my view.  Apologies for confusing anyone