Author Topic: Robin Hood Special on History Channel  (Read 15933 times)

Offline dmassphoto

Robin Hood Special on History Channel
« on: May 11, 2010, 11:38:16 pm »
Anybody watch the special on Robin Hood tonight on the History Channel?  I missed it, but it's going to be on again at midnight.  The host is the same hyperactive guy who did the show on the Longbow a few years ago.  If I remember correctly, he was shooting his longbow from a horse at one point, and had one made by an English bowyer with a recurve to it.  I wonder how accurate that was.  Anywho, makes me wonder how accurate this special will be.  I always enjoy the History Channel specials when historical movies come around, if only for the entertainment value.

Offline RyanY

Re: Robin Hood Special on History Channel
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 09:24:50 am »
I stayed up to watch it after reading this post. It started out strong talking about Robin Hood but then turned more into a history of europe type of thing. They really looked into the way society was at the time of the stories of Robin Hood so they could estimate what kind of man he was if there was a man at all. They mostly looked at Robin Hood as real through the stories but not one man. I thought it was interesting.  :)

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 12:01:10 pm »
Compared to some of the stuff History has been putting out lately, I thought it was pretty good!  From a photographer's standpoint, some of the commentary that was shown by the British professors looked like an amateur set it up, lol.  But then I was highly impressed by the scenes of the knight on horseback.  That was really cool to watch.  As for the accuracy, it seemed they did a pretty good job.  One thing's for certain, this movie that's coming out on Friday will be much different than previous versions.

(Nothing can beat Prince of Thieves, though)  ;D

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 04:18:25 pm »
oh yeah, i cant wait for the movie, and prince of thieves was the best!

its dull you twit, itll hurt more!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 10:42:17 pm »

ha!  That movie is as quotable as Top Gun!  It's just the best :)

As for the new one with Russell Crowe, it looks like they're painting him as a true yeoman, which is a bit different than the nobility he's been portrayed as before, or the peasant.  From the interviews I've watched, it seems like Crowe has gotten really into his part, even shooting upwards to 200 arrows a day.  I'm looking forward to it.

Offline Davepim

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 05:17:53 am »

ha!  That movie is as quotable as Top Gun!  It's just the best :)

As for the new one with Russell Crowe, it looks like they're painting him as a true yeoman, which is a bit different than the nobility he's been portrayed as before, or the peasant.  From the interviews I've watched, it seems like Crowe has gotten really into his part, even shooting upwards to 200 arrows a day.  I'm looking forward to it.

Yes, 45-60lb longbows! ;) ;) ;) ;)

Offline Oorlogsboog

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 08:42:44 am »
They should really get actors to DRAW properly though  ;D

To the EAR man!! To the EAR!!! You're not in Korea damn you!!!  >:D
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it....

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 10:31:40 am »
Yes, 45-60lb longbows! ;) ;) ;) ;)

They also used rubber suits for armor in Gladiator.  I won't fault any actor for using lightweight bows, considering I can't even pull a 120 pounder  :D

Offline aero86

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 10:39:08 am »
i wish i were an actor and had the time to shoot 200 arrows a day..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 11:53:54 am »
I enjoyed the special.  I think understanding the whole Robin Hood myth is contingent on understanding England history of the period.  One of my other hobbies is the study of medieval/dark age England....I have a mini-library on these subjects alone.

Now.....let's not get too picky with the archery gear and drawing technique.....after all....they are actors......I am strong as a bull.....and I don't even TRY to pull a proper warbow!  I enjoy the use of my wrist, shoulder and back muscles/joints too much!!!

I am seeing the movie this weekend....cannot wait!  Looks like a lot of fun!

Fun is the key word.....just enjoy it.....don't pick it apart!
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline Loki

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 01:44:21 pm »
After Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven I wasnt expecting any historical accuracy with this movie and I was right! But wait until you hear Crowes accent  ;D .

let's not get too picky with the archery gear and drawing technique.....after all....they are actors......I am strong as a bull.....and I don't even TRY to pull a proper warbow!

You can tiller a 35lb Bow to 32", I'm sure the actors could manage that if they wanted to portray the technique correctly.Ralphs was the archery consultant like he was for Kingdom of heaven and Gladiator!  ;D.

Durham,England

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 02:03:13 pm »
They were shooting in England for months.  I wonder if anyone went to the set and offered their services on how to properly shoot a warbow, knowing they would do it wrong.  This was also 12th-13th century, do we in fact know that bows were pulled back to the ear during this time, even amongst yeomen hunting or robbing in the forrest? 

I saw Orlando Bloom firing a bow in one of his movies, I think it was Troy, and he was drawing it back pretty far, but it *looked* really ugly.  The producer/directors probably thought the same. Who knows

Offline aero86

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 03:40:16 pm »
they have all sorts of longbow guys over there, you would think they would ask someone for some pointers.

if its half as good as prince of thieves we are in for a treat

Offline Loki

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 04:11:45 pm »

They asked Steve Ralphs

http://www.steveralphs.com/
Durham,England

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 04:35:22 pm »
Ahh, says he did the bow that was in Prince of Thieves.  Always thought that was a beautiful bow, but now it seems it was made to look like Yew.  Either way, it worked.