Author Topic: Crazy dog stories  (Read 5803 times)

Offline Badger

Crazy dog stories
« on: May 12, 2010, 03:41:23 pm »
   I used to run field trials with my bird dogs and had one particular dog that was my favorite of all time but crazy as hell. He was an English setter named moose. A big running open all age dog who knew the difference between hunting birds and field trials. This dog had a habit of chasing airplanes. I live 10 miles from LAX in los angeles and everytime he got out I would get a call from the airport later that day. One time I was driving down the free way toward the airpot and saw him running down the side of the freeway toward the airpot at full speed ahead, I pulled over and he jumped right in the car. Another time I lost him in the desert and two weeks later he wound up at Edwards air force base over 120 miles from where I lost him, This stupid dog probably spent well over a year out of his 14 years running wild as I lost him at least 25 times over the years usually took about 2 weeks to get him back. He could dispatch a coyote in a fair fight without much problem. Never chased a rabbit, or fought another dog, just chased birds and airplanes. At 14 he finaly ran off for the last time and I never saw him again. I still miss that dumb mutt. Steve

DCM4

Re: Crazy dog stories
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 05:21:37 pm »
We had Irish setters, and a Lewellan (sp), back before inbreeding ruined the breed and before they became show dogs instead of hunting dogs.  Loved to chase birds, would hold a point well but when they flushed the dogs (two bitches, Penelopy and Prisilla aka Penny and Prissy) would as likely catch a bird as have one downed by a shooter.  Penny got traded off and Prissy became our house dawg for about ever.  Was a great momma dog.  Would adopt stray kittens and stuff (in the country).  Found her one morning with a baby rabbit curled up on top of her.  The lewellian was a big headed male.  Chicken killin' sob eventually got run over, or killed by a neighbor.  Ran off an never came home, but we'd had him a good while, a decade at least.  Prissy threw a litter from a wandering dalmation, one male pup we kept was 100% dalmation and the smartest dawg I ever owned.  Uncle always had dem old skinny arse raw boned pointers, but they were serious as a heart attack about hunting and real well trained.

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 05:40:51 pm »
Dave, I used to buy my setter from a man in Hathachubee Alabama. They were built and acted more like your uncles pointers. Interesting thing was though that he loved my chickens, hung out in the pen with them all the time and never bothered them. I used to raise quail also but the dog thought they were pets so never would hunt them. Smart dog, would only hunt wild game. At the field trial here in ca they would usually release pen raised birds and he had no interest in them. He would run as far as he had to to find the wild ones. Often that was too far to stay in the judging and was usually disqualified for running off. Steve

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 06:59:53 pm »
We raise and compete with our Basenji's.....they are some of the smartest Dogs I have ever had the Privilege of raising....last Summer I took my 14 year old Female with Me to work on my Rent House....when I let Her out of the Car.....She took off at a full run....at first I could not see what She was after.....then I did....a a Cottontail was running for it's Life for the Chainlink Fence..... well about three foot from safety...She nailed It..... It was like She was a Puppy again.....I couldn't believe that a deaf...cataract blind 14 year old could still move like that...zig-zagging with every move the Rabbit made.....We lost Her that Fall.....She had just turned 15....She had a long and good Life....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline aero86

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 07:39:37 pm »
i bet she slept like 4 days after getting that rabbit!

we have a dachshund mix.  first, she ingests rat poison, almost dies.  then 2 weeks later, gets hit by a dually, crushes her back leg.  6 weeks later, she runs around like nothing happen.   2 weeks ago, she goes chasing something in the middle of the night, comes back with a hole in her lip, a hole in her tongue, and she had to have 3 teeth pulled.  shes definitely part cat.

now my rescue dachshund.  doesnt do much, just lays around, but he has fattened up.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 05:38:06 pm »
i've always had labs. one lab in particular, a black lab named Reba, loved to fish, she could catch carp in the shallows and stood by my side endlessesly when i shore fished, just waiting, if i caught something she went nuts while i was landing it. If it was a perch or anything white bass or smaller, she would eat it whole in less than a minute. everyone always said she had a really shiny coat  ;). If we were fishing from a boat she would jump out and swim to shore when she had to go the bathroom, then swim back. One time, my dad and i were in the little fishing boat trolling for walleye in deep water, probably about a half mile from shore. since we were in the small boat we left Reba at the cabin but outside. we were fishing for about an hour when we notice a black thing running along the shore line, then into the lake and swimming straight for us, i bet it took her about 20 minutes to make the swim in a pretty choppy Lake Sakakawea. when she got to us and we hauled her in the boat, she looked at us like, "you son of a !@%$@#, don't you ever leave me behind again".

Aside from loving to fish she was the best pheasant hunter i've ever seen.
45# at 27"

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 10:58:43 am »
Great stories,I love dogs,my 2 girls are pretty spoiled,Sadie love to run anything that will run from her,and a great deer tracker,Hannah won't run anything far except my Kobota or Tractor,When I am bushhogging she will go round for round all day if I stay out there. I have tried to break them but they just won't quit.  :)   
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cracker

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 11:43:45 am »
I have bulldogs one the male was sleeping on the end of the sofa the female goes to my wife and starts running in circles and whining like she does when she has to go really bad. The wife gets up and says do you need to go out, the male hears go out and gets excited and jumps off the sofa and heads to the door and goes out the female didn't have to go out at all she jumped on the end of the sofa and took the males spot. A con job from the animal kingdom.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline aero86

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 04:24:12 pm »
hahahah, darn females
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 03:15:37 pm »
I inherited my wife's black female Shar-Pei when we bought the house and got married.  Very different than the terrier I had growing up and labs I'd been around in college, but I'll tell you what, the dog hunts down rabbits and squirrels quite well.  She can really put the bitch in bitch, though.  Took awhile for us to figure each other out, but once I got her dragging behind me during longer runs, she figured it out real quick.  Since then we've been Peas and Carrots.  Except for of course that one time when I picked her up to get her into the shower for a bath and she let a turd fly on me.   :oHa Ha Ha!   When she's gone I'll look back on it fondly, but until then she gets NO QUARTER! ;D
1’—>1’

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 05:01:08 pm »
   Great stories, my brother had a cocker that liked to harass his horses. After multiple broken legs, broken ribs, concussions etc she still continues to harass them. hasn't gotten tagged in about 3 years now so I think she is getting smarter. Steve

Lombard

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 09:31:02 pm »
We had a keashhund for sixteen years. Strong but gentle dog with a great spirit. Hated porcupines though, or just liked the taste, I don't know. I became very proficient at removing quills, as it is the one varmint she would persue relentlessly. She has been gone almost two years now, miss her like an old friend.

Offline 65x55 swedis

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 07:25:01 pm »
i personly like the labs also i had a chocolate lab called teak. my dad and me raised her from a pup and trained her to be a bird dog. she could flush a bird out of any where! and i do mean anywher one catch she was gun shy like no tomarrow. any to the storie. her first hunting trip we were out and we found a grouse along the road. well we did not know that she was gun shy so dad told me to hold on to her. dad shot the grouse and teak hit the dirt, and laied down like she was shot. we both told her to fetch it up and she bolted like lighting and hit the bird and brought it back. i lost that dog 2 months ago old age finaly got her at 17

Offline Postman

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 07:59:41 pm »
We had a young female Siberian  husky coming into heat when I was a kid, and saw the dollar signs in dad's eyes when a feller with a male asked if they could mate them and split the money from the pups.  Huskies were real popular in our area then, but a boxer got to her first and we wound up with 4 of the weirdest looking mutts you ever saw. She was the calmest dog, but when the pups were about a month old, she started freaking out running around the house, then jumped thru a screen window. She came back an hour later and promptly regurgitated a litter of baby rabbits for her pups! Most were still moving - very sobering "wild kingdom" stuff for a 6 year old. we got homes for three and kept the funkiest, Smokey joe. He  had one blue eye, one brown , a straight ear, a flop ear, thin haunches and a  barrel chest that made him pigeon toed, and a curved but sparsley furred tail.

Great dog, though.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Dane

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 04:59:56 pm »
We had a golden retriever / miniature collie mix named Kara. At about 15, she evidently had a stroke, and lost the use of her back legs. When this happened, we rushed her to the on call vet, as it was a Saturday, and our regular vet was unavailable.

I was covered in sh## from carrying her, terrified of course, into the vet's waiting room, so I was not in a good mood. When the vet did about a 2 minute examination and declaired that we had to put her down, I went off. I told her would you put your mom or aunt to sleep if she had a sudden stroke and with one opinion after a few seconds of looking with no chart? Stormed out of there, took her to our regular vet on Monday. In the meantime, I had somehow heard about dog wheel chairs, and there was a guy about five miles from us who builds them, Eddie's Wheels. He is a retired aerospace engineer, and does great work. We made an appointment to see him on Monday, I took the day off, and we had her fitted out that day. On Tuesday, we took Kara to our regular vet. She was in good health, only couldn't use her back legs, and we had to be prepared for a lot of work if we wanted to keep her.

It was of course no problem, lots of pills to give her, and lots of exta work, but Kara was happy for two more years. Here diet changed, and she suddenly refused to eat regualar dog food, so I had too cook her special meals each night. Sometimes she turned down one meal, and I made her a second one. She loved hot foods, so I did a lot of Indian and Mexican food. Had to ground up about five different pills and slip them in her meal. Her favorite thing of all was tacos from Taco Bell. I used to call her Karacita, the Mexican pooch. Her eyes would get huge when I brought home tacos. We walked her seven days a week in her cart, and pretty much didnt go anywhere or even take day trips so we could be there for her. It was totally worth it. She lived to be almost 18, and was happy to the very end.

In the photos, you can see her getting fitted out with her new cart. The second shot shows the cart with some special skis we had Eddie fit to the cart, she loved snow. The last shot is her with a parasol on her cart. You can see the details of the cart well in this picture.

Dane

[attachment deleted by admin]
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts