Author Topic: Crazy dog stories  (Read 5801 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Crazy dog stories
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2010, 06:12:01 pm »
When we lived in coastal SC we had a chocolate lab, Hershey, that absolutely loved dolphins (porpoise). Any time he would see any from our little beach he would swim out to them and stay out there for ever swimming with them. If we were in a boat and saw porpoises he would get so excited he would shake all over and almost fall out of the boat. His place on the boat was hanging 10 over the bow, no matter how fast or slow we went.
  On one occasion we were in the boar(13' Boston Whaler) but just floating down the river when a porpoise approached the boat looking for a handout. Hershey got close to the edge of the boat hung his head over the gunwale and when the porpoise opened his mouth Hershey gave him a big french kiss. Licking all around and in the porpoises mouth. On another occasion in our boat we were idling in gear and just barely moving. A pod of local dolphins were cruising the river and 4 or 5 immature(about 3' long)dolphins came in close to our boat. Hershey began barking at them and they would stick their blow holes out of the water and mimic the sounds Hershey was making.
  When we moved to the mountains Hershey loved to chase rabbits. When I would enter our driveway(1/2 mile long) I would let Hershey out of the truck and he would run ahead of us looking for rabbits to chase. On one occasion he caught and killed a rabbit but realized he didn't want to mess with a dead rabbit so from them on he would chase the rabbits but when he caught them he would just roll them and move off to the next one. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online Jesse

Re: Crazy dog stories
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2010, 06:17:28 pm »
. Sounds like a great dog Pat.
 I had a Shepherd that animals were not afraid of for some reason. Wild turkeys would walk right next to him with their chicks and neither cared about the other being there.  We had a pet squirrel  for a while and I have video of it riding around the house on the German shepherds back :) Miss that dog.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark