Author Topic: 48" Seneca flat bow (not for bom) blame Ken H & Ancient Archer  (Read 8691 times)

Offline Hrothgar

Re: 48" Seneca flat bow (not for bom) blame Ken H & Ancient Archer
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 04:06:15 pm »
Beautiful set of bow and arrows--very authentic looking. No resting wood in that tiller either!
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 04:37:01 pm »
Cool little bow 8). Now thats short :o   
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 10:43:08 pm by Jesse »
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Postman

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 10:48:37 am »
Another beauty - way to go.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2010, 11:03:28 am »
Very nice bow,well done,I know he will love that.  :)   
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2010, 12:19:33 am »
I'm impressed with your bow, I'm sure the question has come up on here before but, what if any is the function of the scalloped edge? you'd think it would cause problems violating the edge grain. Not to mention the holes drilled for the feather clusters, obviously it works since I've seen many of these.
VB

half eye

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2010, 08:46:21 am »
VB,
     As far as I can tell, the edge carved NA bows were peculiar to the tribes east of the Mississippi river from about Northern Fla north to Maine and Minnesota (Including sub-artic Canada) Aslo known as Eastern Woodland. A lot of the tribes referred to the "earliest" peoples as Annihinabii (original people or old people). There are a few known bows of theirs that are scalloped (both sides). With bows that are straight sided the scallops can be used for tillering the arc by regulating their depth into the bow. On the bows that are tapered (usually on side only) the scallops are decorational, because the stone sanding will "automatically" taper the limb's thickness toward the tips.
     Eastern Woodland bows are also edge carved into ovals with squares, some with "saw teeth" and several other patterns. So I really do believe that the carving did a few things, 1. Identify a bow to a particular tribe or group. 2. Identify a bow to a particular individual. 3. Put strong "medicine" into the bow (for hunting or war). I dont believe that there is a "hard and fast" rule for why they were carved, but rather it could have been a combination of factors.
     When I asked Jay about this or that, regarding bows, most of his explanations involved " what the bow owners wishes were". Which included grip wrapping, incised or painted designs, and add-on decorations (feathers and the like). He went on to say that the Ottawa were trained to make their own bows, but that some others had villiage bow makers.
     Sorry for the long winded answer. I believe that each bow had particular design features that identified it as a certain tribes bow, and the rest of it was to the individual and involved their ancestors history, more so than a mechanical purpose. That is an opinion based on talking with some NA folks....so I might be all wet too, for what ever it's worth.
Rich

Offline tahgahjute

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2010, 09:56:14 am »
really nice bow.looks great!!!!

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2010, 08:29:24 pm »
Rich.

I just saw this post.  I have been consentrating on the flint knapping and have not been looking at the bows forum.. Look what I missed, another great bow and arrows from you.  Great job.

I havent forgot about the points you wanted either, just may take a bit to get the ones you want right.

Tell
Tell Riley

half eye

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2010, 09:51:27 pm »
Tell, all your points are "right".
Rich

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2010, 09:55:52 pm »
HOLY MOLEY Rich absolultey beautiful excellent job all the way around!  Matching arrows to boot I am amazed!  Rich u made my day just looking at that fine work!  Have a good day!

Russell
DITTO!
RON
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2010, 07:05:23 pm »
Thanks for the great explanation of the bow design, really interesting. I'd like to try building one.
VB

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2010, 11:22:15 am »
Great looking bow half eye... Those eastern styles are neat lookin' bows and you sure do a nice job on them .
I might have to try making one of that style out of some elm or hickory.

half eye

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2010, 01:53:35 pm »
No problem VB,
Hey Paul,
        I've made 'em out of both woods, and both are great!!! I really believe ya cant go wrong with either one, because of their inter-tangled grain fibers, and both woods will pull a long ways, which is real good for a true self bow. If I can ever help ya please advise. TX: (231) 587-8542 and email is rousseau.rd@att.net
Rich

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2010, 11:21:43 pm »
Thanks Rich, I appreciate the offer and might take ya up on it . BTW, got my copy of PA today and I'm looking forward to reading your article.

Mancelona eh ? Used to live in Traverse City myself.... still have some hard maple that I slabbed out with a chainsaw mill over 20 years ago. Wonder if there's a bow in there?

half eye

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2010, 08:30:54 am »
Paul,
       We both know about that cured hard maple.....there is only a bow if ya want a butt-kickin, hard pullin, and smokin fast bow ;D
Rich