Author Topic: Squirrel season is open  (Read 10022 times)

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
Squirrel season is open
« on: May 14, 2010, 06:15:38 pm »

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Squirrel season is open
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 06:41:02 pm »
Didn't think you could eat them this time of Year...at least not here...They are full of Worms...and Wolves..... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 07:35:23 pm »
Didn't think you could eat them this time of Year...at least not here...They are full of Worms...and Wolves..... :P

I would believe they had worms there, if I believed there were squirrels there...or wolves...:p

Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 07:46:50 pm »

I would believe they had worms there, if I believed there were squirrels there...or wolves...:p

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 07:54:29 pm »
Shenanigans!  There's no trees there, either.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 09:29:15 pm »
I don't think mountain men cared about seasons. They were hungry and ate.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 09:36:17 pm »
El D: you forgot Ranger B was trained on bugs for survival so a fat squirrel would be like heaven!
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 09:40:00 pm »
El D: you forgot Ranger B was trained on bugs for survival so a fat squirrel would be like heaven!

;D
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 10:31:42 pm »
I know what El D's talking about. The Old timers around here called them "wolves" they are a parasite that sometimes get inside squirrels and rabbits during warm weather. I believe they're actually Bot fly larvae. I've killed both rabbits and squirrels that had them. I didn't eat them, but I really doubt it would harm you if you did.
 Most people don't know it but most deer have Bot fly larvae in them...even during hunting season. And we still eat them anyway. :o
  "When you're hungry, season's always in" ;D
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 10:35:37 pm »
I know what El D's talking about. The Old timers around here called them "wolves" they are a parasite that sometimes get inside squirrels and rabbits during warm weather. I believe they're actually Bot fly larvae. I've killed both rabbits and squirrels that had them. I didn't eat them, but I really doubt it would harm you if you did.
 Most people don't know it but most deer have Bot fly larvae in them...even during hunting season. And we still eat them anyway. :o
  "When you're hungry, season's always in" ;D

It's acually Warbles

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 10:52:46 pm »
 We have wolves here, but I've only seen them in rabbits when the weather gets warm. It's usually in the neck and crawls out when you kill the rabbit. I've cut the entry hole out and ate them, no problem. And nice shot, Jimmy. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 11:09:30 pm »
Deer Nose Bot are totally different than the ones that infect Rabbits and Squirrels under the Skin...but Shannon is correct...almost every Whitetail Deer alive has Deer Nose Bots...the Flies land in their Nostrils...and spray their Eggs into the Deers Nose...which are Inhaled and grow and develop in their sinuses...last Year and the year Before...when I kept the Heads to Boil...I kept them in Plastic Bags till I boiled them...Both times the Bags were crawling in Bot Larvae...when I skinned the Heads...the Sinuses where the Head was Hacksawed off were stuffed with dead Larvae....really Nasty too

I love Squirrel...but I won't eat them here in the Spring/Summer
2024...We Will Overcome