Author Topic: Steve Stratton laminate war bow  (Read 18347 times)

Offline silberz

Steve Stratton laminate war bow
« on: May 17, 2010, 02:18:46 pm »
Any input on his laminate war bow? Im in the process of getting ready to order one and wanted to know if anyone had a personal feedback on his war bows? Look like they are well made but wanted some real world feedback.

Offline adb

Re: Steve Stratton laminate war bow
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 02:44:40 pm »
Steve's bows are awesome. However, the shipping is unbelievably expensive to North America... like $300. Where do you live?

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 02:56:52 pm »
Steve's bows are awesome. However, the shipping is unbelievably expensive to North America... like $300. Where do you live?

Ouch.  That's almost worth a trip over there to pick it up personally.

Offline silberz

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 03:20:11 pm »

Thank you for the feedback on his bows, Im hoping that the shipping is less then that as 300us is about 200.00pounds . Just having had another bow shipped over from the UK in a solid hard shell tube it was about half that price in freight. Surprisingly it only took about 6 days to get it to the states from the UK.

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 04:05:24 pm »

Ouch.  That's almost worth a trip over there to pick it up personally.
Well... that's more or less what I did. I pre-ordered an ELB form Pip Bickerstaffe, and then picked it up at his shop while we were in the UK on holiday, and brought it home.

Offline Cromm

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 07:14:09 pm »
adb what did you get from Pip and do you still like it??
Thanks for your time.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 10:20:43 pm »
I pre-ordered an ELB a couple of months before we were to arrive in the UK. It's hickory backed lemonwood, with a greenheart core. 74" ntn, 55#@28", horn nocks, horn arrow pass, with leather grip. The bow is truly a thing of beauty. I also got to spend the day in his shop, and Pip was a very gracious and patient host. He showed me how he does Z splices, glue-ups, and he was tillering a 100# hickory backed osage warbow while I was there. He gave me a signed copy of his book on warbows, and a free canvas bow bag for my bow. He also provided a plastic pipe with ends, so I could get my bow home in one piece (which I did, thankfully). Pip is a very knowledgable man, who's lifelong passion is longbows.

Offline Cromm

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 11:00:26 am »
I pre-ordered an ELB a couple of months before we were to arrive in the UK. It's hickory backed lemonwood, with a greenheart core. 74" ntn, 55#@28", horn nocks, horn arrow pass, with leather grip. The bow is truly a thing of beauty. I also got to spend the day in his shop, and Pip was a very gracious and patient host. He showed me how he does Z splices, glue-ups, and he was tillering a 100# hickory backed osage warbow while I was there. He gave me a signed copy of his book on warbows, and a free canvas bow bag for my bow. He also provided a plastic pipe with ends, so I could get my bow home in one piece (which I did, thankfully). Pip is a very knowledgable man, who's lifelong passion is longbows.

That's cool. How does that bow stand up to the other ELB's you have? If you don't mind me asking?? PM me if you don't want to put it on here?
Thanks for your time.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline peasant1381

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 05:36:07 pm »

Steve Stratton 125lb laminate in action last weekend. Now in its fourth year. Put a 1/4lb arrow 176 yards at the weekend, Standard arrows 220+ yards.

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 05:40:14 pm »

That's cool. How does that bow stand up to the other ELB's you have? If you don't mind me asking?? PM me if you don't want to put it on here?
Thanks for your time.
I've had it 4 years now, and it shoots as good as the first day, with 0 issues.

Offline Loki

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 06:17:15 pm »
Mines around four years old and still shoots well.
Lemonwood belly, Greenheart core and Hickory back  75# @ 32"
Durham,England

Offline Cromm

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 07:27:00 pm »
Mines around four years old and still shoots well.
Lemonwood belly, Greenheart core and Hickory back  75# @ 32"

Loki,
Is that a Steve Stratton bow or Pip bickerstaffe bow? It's a real looker!!!
Thanks for your time.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline Loki

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 07:41:14 pm »
Steve Stratton made it mate.It's a good shooter plus it's the only bow I have with Bleached nocks!  ;D

Durham,England

Offline Phil Rees

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 07:48:49 pm »
Loki ....????? they do look like Bickerstaffe nocks   ...

Offline Cromm

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 06:32:09 am »
Nice Loki. I like it alot.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.