Author Topic: Dimensions of Modoc bows?  (Read 37956 times)

Offline YewArcher

Re: Dimensions of Modoc bows?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2007, 11:41:15 pm »
lol.....yes they where nice staves! That pic is from about 6 months ago now allot of them are bows. See that yew stave second stave from the right.....that is the warbow, that other yewstave next to that is the sporting elb I have been posting on that long tall osage is the osage d bow I posted a few months ago  and the 2 vinemaple staves on the far left are both in the process of being tillered at my thursday night bow making that I host! lol.....Stave get made into bows quick around here.

SJM

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2007, 12:59:15 am »
David, I would use tight bond 2 to apply the sinew, the hide glue would be more affected by the weather where you are. as I told you at camp, I had a couple of bows that were rawhide backed with hide glue, that were on a table and the fog rolled in, the rawhide curled up on them. I had to re-apply using tb2. I am sure the natives used wax or lard-based materials for weather proofing, but the tb2 willl withstand the weather. the snake backed bow I had at camp hunted in the late season in pouring rain and was not affected by the moisture.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2007, 12:23:29 pm »
Chris, what are the dimension on that Juniper bow you were shooting? Nice looking bow there.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill