Author Topic: hickory backed black walnut  (Read 4648 times)

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
hickory backed black walnut
« on: May 20, 2010, 11:36:28 pm »
heres one i did this week hickory backed black walnut 62 tpt 1 3/4 wide at fades 53 lbs at 28 . had some issues early with delamination but i called a master bowyer friend and interupted his supper and got the scoop on what i was doing wrong . nice to have knowledge a phone call away . thanks to all for looking

[attachment deleted by admin]

half eye

Re: hickory backed black walnut
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 11:41:09 pm »
Damn Ken, ya got to change that saying on your posts.....that bow is a classic...everything looks good and the profile qualifies as down right sexy. Got to love them American flat bows.
Rich

Offline ken75

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 11:45:35 pm »
rich i tried the other day ,cant figure how to change it . guess im stuck with it

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 01:16:15 pm »
Got your 3rd bow also bookmarked for May Laminates ! Very nice...
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 01:12:19 pm »
nice bow, how does it shoot? how does the walnut work with the hickory??
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline NTProf

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 01:43:28 pm »
Is it made from a board? Very nice!!

Offline tdog

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 02:28:27 pm »
Very nice! The tiller looks perfect. What glue did you use?
It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Mark(Wetumpka,AL)

Offline ken75

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 09:24:51 pm »
drag bow shoots hard and fast, T titebond 3, i had to much clamp pressure and to slick a surface . ,and yes board on the black walnut, this was a 3 foot 2 by 6 my pops cut out with a chainsaw back in the mid 80's , been wanting to do a laminate so i could use the wood he cut for me . hickory came from a log down by the creek  . thanks all
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 12:04:02 am by ken75 »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 09:20:51 am »
Very nice bow,I love the look of Walnut.  :) Should be a sweet shooter.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ken75

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 12:59:50 pm »
thanks pappy !! i think im gonna make it my creek bow, wade and shoot .. might be able to get some breams ,but most likely a moccasin

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 01:03:38 pm »
Great looking bow! I love to work with BW and yours does the wood justice.
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 01:15:01 pm »
Very nice bow Ken, The pass is on the wrong side though, LOL  O:)   ;D ;D  You say the hickory is from a log you cut, is it chased to a single growth ring or is it quarter sawn?  Just curious I have a few hickory logs I want to turn into backing strips and I really have no idea where to start with them.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline ken75

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 01:18:45 pm »
thanks comm, josh i split the log ,then split the heart off the pie shape leaving about four by three inch stave then using the split face off the log i cut my boards out,takes time and a good skill saw but it works. btw thanks josh , looks like u gonna have another bom even though rest is backwards!!

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 01:48:31 pm »
thanks comm, josh i split the log ,then split the heart off the pie shape leaving about four by three inch stave then using the split face off the log i cut my boards out,takes time and a good skill saw but it works. btw thanks josh , looks like u gonna have another bom even though rest is backwards!!

...doubt it, there are ALOT of nice bows this month... I wouldn't turn it down if'n it happened.  :)  Thanks for tellin me about the hickory, gotta try that soon.  :) :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 03:47:40 am »
Ken, that is one beautiful bow.  Nice lines. Great tiller.  I'm a hunter and any bow I make I plan to take to the woods with me.  So I know the need for a stick that will blend into the forest.  BUT, I would be hard pressed to stain the hickory dark.  I just think the contest with the white hickory and the dark walnut would be way to pretty.  And maybe there is more contrast than the pics show.  But this is coming from a guy who's going to camo paint one of his shotgurs this summer in prep of fall turkey season.  :o  I still love this bow.  Nice job.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw