Author Topic: Onondaga point Thin hard and ugly! Afew Recents Added!  (Read 2612 times)

Offline AncientArcher76

Onondaga point Thin hard and ugly! Afew Recents Added!
« on: May 23, 2010, 02:21:46 pm »
I must have made 100 points from Onondaga and each time I wonder how in the heck did the Iroquios used it so well.  I can make them but they arent as fancy as some of the points I've seen.  Here it is... have a good day!!!

Russ

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 09:29:30 pm by AncientArcher76 »
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Onondaga point Thin hard and ugly!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 03:09:37 pm »
I like it, tough stuff.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 05:08:47 pm »
You're more of a man than I am!  Dang good job.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 08:32:13 pm »
Looks like you did alright to me. After watching you spall some out, I could tell it was tough..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 11:22:07 pm »
LOL thanks guys!  I feel the need to keep using that stuff and although it aint always the prettiest stuff I like it.  I found Esopus chert and unless there is better stuff out there it is some tough stuff as well.  I am on a quest to find good Normanskill the green stuff and when I do I will be at ease.  The snakehill U might as well just use granite.  I like taking the drive to various spots and location just to look.  I enjoy the quiet time, the scenary and also talk with some of the locals.  Ny state has chert layers and veins over 1000ft thick I bet if we can get to some of that it might be some good grade stuff.  Anyway Thanks again I will put a few better ones up I just wanted to post one real quick.

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 12:48:50 am »
Most stone age cultures started the kids driving flakes for cutting tools.  By the time they were adults, they had been knapping for 10 or 15 years.  Also, they usually only used one or two types of rock , so they worked on the same type of rock all their lives.  And last but not least, they had no pack animals, so they high graded a lot more than we do today.  Bill

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 02:26:42 am »
It make sence what u said Bill.  I do like using what naturally occurs in my area.  It may be tough but in the long run it will make me that much better.  I just hope I will be able to knapp the easier stuff after knapping the Onondaga for a long time!  I'll end up breaking a lot of beautiful stone before adjusting back.  Oh well nature of the beast.  Thanks and have a good day!

Russ

Offline Bill Skinner

Re: Onondaga point Thin hard and ugly! Afew Recents Added!
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 11:33:17 pm »
Have you thought about preforming at your quarry site?  If you looked at Jesse's thread, he preformed and spalled right there at the site.  It helps prevent hauling out the rougher stuff.  Incidently, I am a fine one to offer that advice, if I think it's knappable, it goes home with me.  Bill

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 09:57:32 pm »
Yeah I thought about it but I want to get in and get out!  I drive almost an hour to get there and by the time u bust up a bunch Im either too hot exhausted or ready to go home!  I dont mind dragging back big pieces especially now I bought a truck  I can fit a lot more than in my car.  Have a good day!

Russ

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 08:55:50 pm »
nice looking work russ. give me a buzz. this time my phone crashed and i lost a lot of info. peace
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 02:56:30 am »
Hey Jaimie havent talked to u in a bit!  I know u have been busy working .  I 'll give u a shout sometime tomorrow ...Friday28  TTYL

Russ