Author Topic: Made a video spalling!  (Read 2386 times)

Offline AncientArcher76

Made a video spalling!
« on: May 17, 2010, 01:37:21 am »
Hey guys if u get time I would appreciate ur support and check out my first video I posted on Youtube.  U can find me by typing in "Spalling onondaga chert the abo way" or my screen name is Pitviper1976...  I spalled out a huge chunk of Onondaga chert using a large elk billet.  Not bad for a first video... Take care guys!!!

ps feel free to leave a comment on my channel!

Russell
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline AncientArcher76

Re: Made a video spalling!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 12:11:08 am »
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 12:44:27 am »
Cool videos!  I like the one at the quarry. I would be in heaven with that much rock around.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 01:47:18 am »
I got a box fer ya Shannon I'll send it at tomorrow.  I hope u can use it I have enough of that stuff to fill a few dump trucks!

Russ

Lombard

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 11:27:45 pm »
Looks like some tough stuff. Will you heat treat the spalls, or knap it as is?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 10:29:58 am »
Cool video Russ. That stuff seems to flake pretty good.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 02:50:39 pm »
You cant heat treat it as it is loaded with pyrite and petroleum based shale.  It explodes and fractures.  I have tried for giggles and trust DONT do it as ucan see Im not laughing! :'(  I have a dent in my oven...If anything water treatment may slightly improve it but not a lot.  This is probably at the bottom or close to it as far as the scale goes for knappability.  It can be done I have been using it now for a few months and I have got better with it.  Have a good day guys!

Russ

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 11:43:22 am »
Thanks for sharing with that video.Enjoyed it.  ' Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 03:44:56 pm »
very cool vid russ
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 07:44:43 pm »
Thanks for the kind words!  I always wanted to make a video and that one kinda sucked for my first but its a starting point.  I will have some unique and fun videos soon as I make them...lol

Cheers,
Russ

Ps hey Jamie u loose my#?