Author Topic: With bamboo/cane arrows which side next to bow?  (Read 2532 times)

Offline Cromm

With bamboo/cane arrows which side next to bow?
« on: May 24, 2010, 06:42:50 pm »
Hi,
My mind seems to be having a moment.
OK so a Tonkin arrow has a spine of 65lb on one side and a spine of 75lb on the other, I am looking to make my arrows shoot at the 65lb. Do I put the 65lb side against the bow or the other way around......
Thanks for all you help.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: With bamboo/cane arrows which side next to bow?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 06:48:30 pm »
you always want to put the stiffest side to the bow.  Something to do with it recovering from bending around the handle.  If you want to lower the spine from 75 to 65 you can make them 2 inches longer than normal.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 07:25:42 pm »
put a bit heavier point on it, and i think your fine.  since the cane is tapered, you want to add a bit more weight to the spine, like 5 lbs
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 08:48:12 pm »
Because of the natural taper of cane arrows a 75#spined arrow will shoot like a 65#spined arrow. For each inch over 28" you can reduce the spine by 5# and for each inch under add 5#
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 09:39:51 pm »
 Steve, there is almost no natural taper to Tonkin. It is almost the same size from one end to another. Put the stiff side against the handle.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 02:52:56 am »
Make a hardwood nock insert but don't glue it in yet.  Shoot the arrow several times spinning the nock a bit each time.  Glue it in the best position, then fletch.  Then let us know how it works, because I just thought of doing it that way!
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cromm

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 06:35:04 am »
Thank you everyone you guys are great!!
Zen, I like the idea of the nock, may have to try that next time.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.