Author Topic: Sinewed cedar bow  (Read 29027 times)

Offline Gordon

Re: Sinewed cedar bow
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2007, 01:03:42 pm »
That sure is a pretty bow.
Gordon

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2007, 01:40:42 pm »
That is neat bow.  Got you bookmarked for April Self Bow of the Month.  Being several years old and still looking that good is pretty good validation of a good bow.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

duffontap

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2007, 02:16:12 pm »
Nice bow.  I love the idea of using softwoods for bows.  I'm a Yew guy but I've always wanted to try ERC and Juniper.  I've built a couple bows from WRC but that was an exercise in futility.   :P

J. D. Duff

Offline ben

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2007, 05:32:42 pm »
Absolutely gorgeous! Whats the linb width on that thing? Im currently working on a 62" ERC flatbow thats going to sinewed as well. Mine is all heartwood but there are these cool little patches of sapwood in it. 

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2007, 07:55:13 pm »
She's a beauty, Ron. Nice job. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2007, 09:04:40 pm »
Ben ( and everybody else), Here's my two cents worth in reply to all of your replies.
This bow is 1.25 " wide at the handle and 2.25" wide just past the fade outs. 
One layer of sinew is working well on this bow, but I'm sure many other backings have been used.  I've used hickory on two bows.  They both shoot well, but one took greater set than I would like.  I've never heard of using silk on juniper, but why not?  One of the recent posts had bamboo backed juniper (collected in Utah, species not noted) bow that really smokes.
My original post makes me sound very sure of the type of junipers I'm using, but I getting my information from identification guides and they make it plain that the trees in this part of the world are a mix of two hard to tell apart species.  The trees vary from shrubby multi trunked bushes to over grown christmas trees with branches all the way to the ground to taller more tree like specimans with a bare trunk lower down.  All have the same type of foliage small blue "berries"  and shaggy bark.
Enough from me,  I started this thread in the hopes of getting other peoples experiences with various junipers. (Well it was nice to show off my bow , too.)
I had never heard anyone suggest that the sapwood is weaker.  Does any one want to add further comments about that?  If you do remove the sapwood, how careful are you to follow one ring.  Or do you count on applying a backing to keep the bow safe?  What about other species of juniper.  Does any body have experience with something other than ERC or rocky mountain juniper?     Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline sonny

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2007, 09:59:49 pm »
It was mentioned to me several years ago that ERC bows should be made of the heartwood or at least 2/3 the limbs thickness of heartwood. I'm beginning to believe that the sapwood will make a fine bow, based on a kid's bow that a buddy of mine has which has been shot literally thousands of times as well as sapwood bows posted on Paleoplanet by a fellow named Johnny.
Now I simply need to follow through by trying a couple different types of sapwood bows on my own...one of which will likely have two or three courses of sinew on it if for no other reason than to pull it into a few inches of reflex as it dries, possibly a rawhide backed bow and another self-backed. I'd like to think that a good hunting weight self-backed ERC sapwood bow could be made as it seems the amount of sapwood varies significantly from tree to tree,,,and I really don't care for the process of removing that wood to get to the heartwood. As well it seems I'm growing [mentally] weary of the process of sinew backing.  :-\

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.