Author Topic: songs for song analysis  (Read 9457 times)

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
Re: songs for song analysis
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 12:29:59 am »
Everyone's overlooking the only logical choice: "White Rabbit" by Jefferson Airplane.
Living a dream...

Offline stickbender

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 02:15:53 am »

Ah yes, "Go ask Alice when she's ten feet tall"...... 8)

Wayne

Grunt

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 09:24:36 am »
Hochie Cochie Man by Willie Dixon,     I'm Just Your Fool by Little Walter,    Sweet Little Angel, Little Red Rooster , Ball and Chain and You Ain't Nothin But A Hound Dog by Willa May Thorton   I'm Goin Down To the Crossroads by Robert Johnson,  Gimmie Back My Wig by Elmore James, The Killin Floor by Howlin Wolf  I suppose that's enough. I guess you can see, I like the Blues.

Offline Dane

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 10:09:51 am »
T, anything Grace Slick did is nullified by her participation in We Built This City on Rock and Roll. What a wretched song.

Fat Bottom Girls - excellent choice. They make the rock and roll world go round, after all. Tie Your Mother Down, Killer Queen, Lover Boy, Stone Cold Crazy, all great Murcury songs.

Maybe Mellencamp, for the angst of a deadend life.

Some Simon and Garfunkle songs scream out for analysis. Bleeker Street, Sounds of Silence, Richard Cory, The Boxer, others.

Think about folk music, too. Lots of murder ballads and songs of work, slavery, spirituality, war, hate, love, redemption. Some spirituals have tons of poetry and meaning to look at.

Dane

Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 02:57:39 pm »
If you want to have fun with the teacher you should do something like Dead Skin Mask by Slayer.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 09:24:08 pm »
youngbowyer started this thread and then went silent.  I think we scared him off!   What a bunch of songs though.  I'll have to look up some of those I haven't heard yet.  Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Jesse

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2010, 12:50:35 am »
This is worth analyzing  :) a million lights by tree63.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fiop3ZKzK4&feature=related
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2010, 02:21:36 pm »

Pink Floyd.  The wall. " All in all, you're just another brick in the wall " Melanie, " Brand new pair of roller skates"  "I got a brand new pair of roller skates, you got a brand new key.....I think we should get together, and see"....."  Sixties song.  When skates, were metal, and were adjustable to fit your shoes, and you used a big key to tighten, or loosen them.  Yep we used type writers too, with a ribbon, and used correction tape, and white out!  Can't use that anymore, messes up the computer screen. ;D speaking of the sixties......There is Jim Stafford's "Wild Wood Weed" ::)  Simple message...... 8)

Wayne

I have to agree.. And you know most of us are really telling our age...Dang I'm getting old.

And if you're really brave, try... As Hillbilly said "Analyze Bohemian Rhapsody" ;D ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline sailordad

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2010, 02:43:34 pm »
the only problem with trying to analyze a song by Queen would be that if you dont understand Shakespeare you probably wont truly
understand the meaning of their songs,kinda like Led Zepplin, you gotta undestand Norse mythology to understand alot of their songs to
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline cracker

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2010, 07:40:13 pm »
Gents I gotta say there are some fine songs mentiioned here. And my favorite good time song will always be Fat Bottom Girls however when I'm in a quiet contemplative mood nothing beats Turning The Page.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2010, 09:45:18 pm »
I did this back in high school. Song I chose was Don McLean's "American Pie". Lots to analyze and cool song to listen to!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2010, 06:00:54 pm »
thanks for all the suggestions! I learned a lot of new songs that i like now! I ended up doing it on time at the last minute ::) Hillbilly, my friend did that song, he wouldn't want me to steal it  ;) I really liked the boxer and dust in the wing, also the cowboy's hat one, along with March of Cambreadth. Thanks for all the ideas, although it probably just made it harder for me ;)
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2010, 06:44:56 pm »
Doing assignments at the last minute is standard, isn't it?   Or, have things changed since I was in school?    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2010, 11:46:44 pm »
Y'all went and made me whip this one out:

99 Luftballons by Nena.  >:D

HAHAHAHA!!! Now that song will be on endless loop in your heads.
Living a dream...

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2010, 12:13:52 am »
Y'all went and made me whip this one out:

99 Luftballons by Nena.  >:D

HAHAHAHA!!! Now that song will be on endless loop in your heads.
thats a good song
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"