Author Topic: Billy finally makes a big point!  (Read 2806 times)

Offline billy

Billy finally makes a big point!
« on: May 26, 2010, 09:36:13 pm »
You guys better call Ripley's Believe it or not.  And you might wanna give your local news station a call too because they'll probably want to get in on this. I actually made a BIG point today!

Most of ya'll know me as "Bird Point Billy" because I'll take a piece of stone and reduce it to flakes so I can make 12,000 bird points from it. Well, today I decided to work a large piece of Burlington chert and turn it into the biggest point I could.  And here is the result: a Hardin barbed point that's just under 6 inches long. I know...the notches aren't quite a "classic" Hardin....but cut me some slack!  I made a big point!

Now I want ya'll to know that I have not made any large points in many years.  And because of it, my larger percussion skills are so-so at best.  Even still, I was able to bang out this beauty.  It was definitely a challenge, and I went slowly with it, preparing platforms carefully and not taking any shortcuts that could result in breaking the thing. Also, the side of the point that has the slight purplish color was actually much grainier and chalkier than the other side, and that chalky side was much harder to send flakes through.  Regardless, I am happy with the result.

I won't be keeping it though.  I have a booth at a big outdoor/hunting expo in July and I'll be selling my stone age crafts, including this point. I figure that even though I like bird points, someone might like to have the opportunity to buy something bigger and more substantial, so this one will be up for sale at that show.

But at least I get to keep it for a little while  :)       

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 09:39:57 pm by billy »
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: Billy finally makes a big point!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 09:53:30 pm »
Looks real good to me. I have a nice colorful pc of burlington that has those same chalky spots in certain places. I'm saving it till my skills improve a little more, it,s got that same purplish tone, Bill you need to make more of those big points. I like it . Bob

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 09:58:44 pm »
Great looking point man! 

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 11:05:28 pm »
nice billy
Mililani Hawaii

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 11:08:59 pm »
'Ol bird point Billy's got some skills 8)  Great looing point!
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 11:14:31 pm »
 Very nice, Billy. You can't make those tiney ones without breaking those big ones. PM me your address,  I might have something for ya'. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 11:17:41 pm »
yea billy. I knew you had it in ya!
nice looking point bud.
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 11:43:01 pm »

Dang, Billy, that is some kinda sweet! :o 8)  I am like you were, I make bird points. :( I almost get a nice blade, and then I end up with two or more pieces, that end up as......bird points........ >:(  In fact just breaking a nice piece of rock, isn't enough.  The other night, after doing that, and speaking in unknown tongues, a few minutes, I calmed down, and started to make a......bird point.  Well, I made a couple of so so points, and then, took off my glove, and put my pad down, and was  about to go back in the house, then looked, at a third piece, and thought, what the heck, I'll just see if I can make another point out of that.......soooooo, I picked up my folded piece of leather, I use for a pad and didn't put the glove back on my left hand, and after about seven or eight flakes, I pushed a flake about 3/16 of an inch by an eighth, or so, right into the ball of my left thumb.  I think I got it all out. ::)  Bled like a stuck pig.  But on the other hand, (I have a different set of fingers) ;D, I have had my glove on, and did the exact thing, and it just went through my glove, like it wasn't on.  Well I put it down, and turned off the light, and came back in the house, and washed my hand, and dried it off, and put a little band aid on it, and just pouted, for awhile.  Went back out the next morning, and tried some, but nothing much, came of it.  I see these blades, and just drool.  That is a sweet one, for sure.  Thanks for sharing.

Wayne

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 12:16:14 am »
billy that is a very nice looking point
awesome material
and by far the biggest birdpoint i have ever seen  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 02:02:52 am »
We all had those moments breaking points and getting frustrated!  I think its kinda like golf if u have something else on ur mind ur goona suck plain and simple!  lol have a good day!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 08:10:10 am »
Nice one Billy!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 10:10:03 am »
Nice one .Don't stop making your bird points they are sweeeeeet
Venice Florida

Offline Parnell

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 10:13:26 am »
Very cool, way to go!
1’—>1’

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 04:53:11 pm »
That's a fine looking point, no matter what size it is.  Good job.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 08:53:38 pm »
bill i read this on my phone and couldnt wait to see it on the computer. excellent point
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct