Author Topic: cutting staves  (Read 2373 times)

Offline SA

cutting staves
« on: May 27, 2010, 01:22:14 am »
Hi all, I am new to bow making (already addicted) I work as a land surveyor in okla. and run into all kinds of good bow wood osage,honey locust,mullberry,etc. my question is  can you cut any time of year or just in the winter ,and would it effect dry time? I have been finding down trees to use ( my fist two elm bow atemts broke)now i am working a red oak board but i would like to take advantage of all the quality stuff i come across.   thanks, sa.
Shawn Acker

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: cutting staves
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 01:34:33 am »
Be careful of any whitewoods that have been down for as little as a week. Rot will set in and ruin the integrity of the wood. You can cut bow wood any time you get a hankering too. Most like the winter because of less snakes, bugs and sweat but any time it is available is the appropriate time to cut bow wood.  ;) Osage heartwood is rot resistant so I wouldn't hesitate to make bows with downed trees.  Maybe mulberry too but I'm not sure about honey locust.
 If it is fresh cut wood, only a day or two down, the whitewoods like elm, hickory, hop hornbeam should be OK.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 01:42:49 am »
There are better times of the year to cut but there is no time better to cut good wood when its available!  In ur profession I bet u get to see some mighty fine trees/ possible staves.  During my turkey hunting I walked past a real nice elm and saw 2 nice HHB trees that are about 15" in diameter and straight with no knots til around 30'  also I went fishing the other day and I turn to look at a cluster of Honey Locust all 6-10" saplings.... maybe the bow gods are trying to say something! ;)

Welcome aboard!

Russell
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline SA

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 07:51:20 pm »
bat b - thanks for the advice, that may explain the first two breaking(not to mention my tillering needs lota work)           
Shawn Acker

Offline Rain Man

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 01:55:07 am »
Be careful of any whitewoods that have been down for as little as a week. Rot will set in and ruin the integrity of the wood.

Can I ask why....  Is it rain?  Is it dew?  Not being smart, I'm just a rookie.  I just picked up and split some Maple and Black walnut that was cut about 2-3 weeks ago.  I thought for sure it would still be good because the bark is still green (alive) and easy to peel off, thus leading me to believe the wood under it should still be protected.  I know the ends were spliting, but I hacked them off.

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 02:40:47 am »
Mullberry makes a good bow wood?  I got a tree that split during a rain next door and the neighbor's been waiting on someone to cut it up for the past few weeks.  Is it considered a white wood and should I even bother?

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 06:22:01 am »
Rain Man, part of the problem with downed white wood is the ensuing fungus rot, but also the bugs hit it pretty quickly.

dmassphoto, Mulberry is not considered a white wood, and it will make a great bow.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.