Author Topic: Red oak backed hickory  (Read 1897 times)

Offline aznboi3644

Red oak backed hickory
« on: May 27, 2010, 04:05:11 am »
I was at Lowe's the other day on a trip to pick up some stuff for work and dodged off to the lumber section and pulled out three very nice straight grained 1.5" x 0.5" x 72" red oak boards.

I plan on trying out a red oak backed red oak reflex deflex bow with a couple of the lams.

But what I have not yet found yet was a red oak backed hickory long bow.

Would the red oak not be strong enough for the hickory backing?

I'm still a noobie but in my mind I think doing a red oak backed hickory would be a fun bow to have...I dont see it much at all.

Offline Hrothgar

Re: Red oak backed hickory
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 08:41:58 am »
You might want to check out "Jawges" site, he can tell you more about board bows. Hickory is usually used as a backing material. Red oak on the other hand would be a little weak in tension and too brittle to be used as backing.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 02:24:11 pm »
How does the grain on the hickory you have look?  I've made more than several with grain violations, that are still shooting.  Hickory can take quite a bit...
1’—>1’

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 02:32:34 pm »
I would not waste the Hickory....backing it with a weaker.wood....that's probably the main reason for not seeing it....not worth the effort.....I have made may dozen Red Oak Bows.... and also many Hickory Backed Red Oak....Hickory compliments the Oak.....Oak would not compliment the Hickory....jmo....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome