Author Topic: Making My First Bow  (Read 9329 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Making My First Bow
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 11:17:08 am »
My apologies. I am sorry but I made a mistake I said,
"Do this on all 4 limbs."

I should have said,
"Do this on all 4 sides."

I am in the process of changing that on on my site. Thanks for spotting it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 09:09:26 pm »
Jawge why not just change the picture to a four limbed bow lol

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 09:21:53 pm »
LOL. I know. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Rain Man

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 10:47:51 pm »
Can you explain the push/pull or kick method?

In this case, a pic explains it a lot better.  First I put my left leg between the string and bow and my hip (or upper leg) goes against the handle.  The tip of the bottom limb goes against the outside of my right foot.  Then I put my left hand on the tip of the top limb and my right hand moves the string.  I push against the handle with my hip/leg and I pull the tip with my left hand.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 10:56:25 pm by Rain Man »

Offline sailordad

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 10:55:26 pm »
no thats the step thru method
i perosnally dont like that method,easy to over stress one limb more than the other imho
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Rain Man

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 11:07:56 pm »
I guess I don't have the strength that you do, or maybe I'm following your directions wrong, because I physically am not able to do it as you described...  and that bow is way light being 33 lbs at 28".  Maybe a pic will help.  Either way, I always just use a stringer (other than that photo op  ;D )
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 11:30:05 pm by Rain Man »

Offline sailordad

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2010, 12:52:25 am »
unless someone else can post a pic sooner
i will have the wife take pics of me doing it tomorrow after work

its alot easier than it sounds,hard to realy explain it
much easier to show someone in person
but like i said,after work tomorrow i will get pics.
i would do it now,but im just out if the shower and lounging in my boxers for the evening  ;)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2010, 12:19:18 pm »
I usually use the kick method myself when the bow is finished but a stringer is the safest
for sure and I have got the where I use it a lot more than I use to and almost always
on a bow getting it's first brace. Can't wait to see it finished. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2010, 02:55:17 pm »
Here's a pic I found in a previous thread of the push/pull or kick method.   I think Steve (Hillbilly) drew it.  It also demonstrates what happens if the bow slips, LOL. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Rain Man

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2010, 07:30:14 pm »
hahahahahahahahahaha, can't stop laughing!  Oh man, that great! 

I can see how it might not be the safest way to string a bow.

Offline Josh

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2010, 07:33:29 pm »
Yeah, it IS the safest for the bow (besides the stringer) but not the safest for the inexperienced...   The biggest problem I have had using the push/pull was the bottom limb tip shooting out from under my instep...It is the way I usually string a bow now though... just takes some getting used to.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Rain Man

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2010, 07:36:02 pm »
I don't see how that's any safer for the bow than the step-through method.  In each method, the bottom tip is propped against your foot, the handle is getting pushed on, and the top tip is getting pulled on.  You are doing the exact same thing for both methods.  What's the difference (except for the javalin through the eye  ;D) ?

Offline Josh

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2010, 07:46:29 pm »
Whenever I used the step through method, the last 6 or so inches of the bottom limb tip rested against the front of my shin which I feel caused more stress on the bottom limb, but if you do it the way you are pictured above with no pressure on any part of the bottom linb but the limb tip, then I don't see how it could be any more stress on either limb.  I just don't recommend doing a low brace/first brace that way... It is REALLY easy to get your leg caught in between the bow and the string and then lose your balance and fall on the bow and break it.  (Don't ask me how I know about THAT one...  ::) )   ;D

paganwannbe

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2010, 07:52:33 pm »
I think besides the pain it's more balance for one then the other but this is just reading about not doing it I will have to try them the nice pictures  josh/Steve/hillbilly very funny

Offline sailordad

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2010, 08:18:18 pm »
well heres how i do it

notice the lower limb tip is stuck in the arch of my foot
my hand is pulling(not pushing)the handle to the left
my right hand is on the back of the bow with the fingers between the string and the belly
as i pull on the handle i push slightly with the right hand,at the same time i slide the string to the nocks and slide my fingers out
as you can see the limbs look to be bending properly during the process too
yes it can be dangerous,especially with a heavy bow and a newbie trying it
my bows never get heavier than 55#,although i have done it with one thats about 75#
scary is the word i think of when i string that one

in rainmans pic of the step thru method,look at how much of his leg ( and shin ) makes contact with the limb.this will cause some resistance and not allow the limb to bend properly.
not to mention if youe brace height is say 5 1/2" to 6" (like my bows) my thigh gets caught when bracing a bow with the step thru method

the kick method (push/pull) only the handle is getting touched along with only about the last 6" (at most) of the limb is being touched.thus allowing the limbs to bend

well atleast thats how i see it, jmho

this is the only way i string bows,personally i have never felt comfortable with a stringer

oh ya,that bow in the pic is the one i  just finished up last week and took hunting one day even  :)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 08:29:46 pm by sailordad »