Author Topic: A few soon to be Bows! NEW ASH splitting!  (Read 3271 times)

Offline AncientArcher76

A few soon to be Bows! NEW ASH splitting!
« on: May 27, 2010, 04:20:45 pm »
Ahoy guys got called into the woods to help out on a logging job and was granted permission to hack away!  I found lots of good species some of which I already have a stock pile.  I wanted som Mountain Ash. Yeah I know some like it and some dont, I happen to like it and what I dont use I am going to make at least a few hundred arrow shafts!  They are going to look fabuLOso.  This is extremely straight and the grain is amazing.  It should work well for both.  If any u all need some amazing arrow shaft let me know! 

Russ

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 07:36:26 pm by AncientArcher76 »
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: A few soon to be Bows!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 04:32:51 pm »
Nice Haul, Russ!  Cheers!  ;)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 04:39:07 pm »
Thanks I have so much sitting in the woods Im afraid Im going to end up having a warm house come this winter.  I cant use all of it and my basement is getting full of bow wood.  I might have to make a shed or pole barn!  Hmm  ::) ::) Im thinking....I will someday end up like Pappy and have a nice spot for everyone to come and enjoy!  Heres to hoping... Thanx Josh!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

Offline dantolin

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 04:48:32 pm »
Nice logs!!!

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 05:43:53 pm »
I hand split some into staves the others I quartsaw then Resaw into planks...from there are cut to various dimensions for board type bow and arrow shafting.  I love it and enjoy watching rough raw logs being made into usable material.  Awesom!

Cheers,
Russ

Offline acker

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 07:18:10 pm »
Nice chainsaw  8) 8)  lots of power in the husky

acker
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 07:25:55 pm by acker »

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 07:51:51 pm »
Good looking wood. I'm sure there's some bows hiding in it.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 10:16:34 pm »
Awesome! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 02:40:48 am »
I hope so SawFiler!  Thanks Jawge, and yeah Husky only way to go especially the air injected one like mine!  Very fast cutting!

Russ

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 11:17:42 am »
That's what I call haulin' ash, waka waka waka...
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline Parnell

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 02:04:55 pm »
Looks like some great staves in there!  Very lite colored wood, huh?  Cool pictures, thanks for posting.
1’—>1’

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 11:13:09 pm »
Yeah very light I saw a nice ELB and a few indian bows made from ash!  I have a lot of various species cut dried and tons still in my lot that are standing.  I got carried away with cutting staves I could probably build a house!  I will post a few pics of me splitting those logs by hand in the morning... Thanks for the good response guys! 

Cheers,

Russ