Author Topic: Memorial Day Thoughts  (Read 7789 times)

Offline Mudd

Re: Memorial Day Thoughts
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 02:52:10 pm »
All I'm saying is it's your right and responsibility to vote. I do because its a freedom fought and died for...I hope everyone will use it to make our country a better place.

These will be my last words on the subject.

If you choose to interpret my words to mean something I didn't, well, there's not much more that can be said to help my meaning or your understanding.

I am sorry if I have offended you or anyone with my statement but I stand by it.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
God bless
Roy L"Mudd" Williams

Offline cracker

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 03:31:39 pm »
Mudd I rarely post in something that turns into an argument but I feel compelled to say good on you and find it vile and disgusting that someone has chosen to start an argument over something like this. I support our troops fervently and remembers our vets with a tear in my eye. Any one who is offended by Mudd's post needs to pipe down and try some place like Iran. Make some anti religeon comments there and see what you get. If it were not for the guys who wear the uniforms in this sountry you would not get to say what you can say here.Ronnie
P.S. I am not in the military nor have I ever been. Yes I did register I am now 50 years old and if I'm called I will go and defend this country till the last breath in my body be she right or wrong.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Gordon

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2010, 07:19:14 pm »
Cracker, the author of this post is free to say whatever he pleases – this is a free country as you point out. What annoys me is Mr. Mudd’s thinly veiled slap at the current administration under the guise of patriotism which is a clear violation of the no-politics rule for this forum.
Gordon

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2010, 09:03:40 pm »
Read Mudd's post again hillbilly - it's clear what he is implying. I find it offensive that he would post something like this under the guise of honoring our veterans. Many of those veterans gave their lives to protect the free and democratic kind of government we enjoy today. There are plenty of other forums where rhetoric like this is welcome. I just hope this site won't devolve into that...

Unless we as Americans start to take seriously our privilege of voting there could come a day when the shopkeepers, the farmers, the tradesmen and other patriotic citizens will need to band together to fight to break the bonds of another oppressive government....ours!!!

started to stay out of this any more than I had already, but... Gordon, you have taken this so far out of context it is rediculas. You keep twisting and useing the words to fit your own needs.. Take what Mudd said as the way he said he ment it. When he said he was sorry that you took it that way, I think it should have been droped, and not made into a debate of your stance, or any others for that matter!! No body said anything about "the curent administration"  Your words not his!!!
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Gordon

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 09:09:51 pm »
Okay perhaps I am misunderstanding the author’s intent which Mr. Mudd could easily clear up by clarifying which oppressive US government he is referring to.
Gordon

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2010, 09:48:57 pm »
 One thing I can honestly say is this thread is about to get yanked if everybody can't get back on track remembering and thanking our soldiers present and past.

Without the religious, and political overtone. Can't everybody just say, "Thank You"?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2010, 11:36:23 pm »
Thank you all. Those that have served in the past, in the present and those that will continue to serve and protect our nation and the rights of all in the future.
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Mudd

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2010, 12:11:02 am »
Ditto what hillbilly said.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
God bless
Roy L"Mudd" Williams

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2010, 01:46:41 am »
The best Memorial Day rememberance I ever heard isn't American. It's a poem, written by Simonides, in honor of the 300 Spartans who fought and died with Leonidas at Thermopylae:

"Go tell the Spartans, passers by

That here, obedient to their laws, we lie"

We honor our fallen, as well we should for it is the duty of the living to honor the dead. Grief is the tribute we pay to the dead. We should also remember the Brits who fell at Dunkirk. The Brits who died at D-Day, Tobruk, and El Alamein. And the ANZACs who gave their lives in both Theatres. The Red Army soldiers who fought the Germans at Stalingrad and Kursk. Oh, yes, them, too. Without all of them, World War Two would have had a different outcome. Let's remember the German, Canadian, British, and French soldiers who fell in Afghanistan along with Americans.

And, this Memorial Day, I also pray for peace on Earth, that all people can one day live as brothers and sisters, that no woman be widowed or no child fatherless (or motherless) by war.

"Let there be justice for all. Let there be peace for all. Let there be work, bread, water and salt for all."

----Nelson Mandela

Living a dream...

Offline cracker

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2010, 07:51:39 am »
Thanks to all the soldiers sailors marines airmen and coastguardsmen and others I do not know about it is because of you that I do not bow to an emperor or stand and salute a tyrant.Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2010, 10:12:33 am »
Thanks to all the soldiers sailors marines airmen and coastguardsmen and others I do not know about it is because of you that I do not bow to an emperor or stand and salute a tyrant.Ronnie

Ronnie, now thats a good one.

did i mention yet that i wanted to say thanks to my sons and all others that have and still do serve and to those that have paid the greatest price of all.

THANK YOU
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Voodoo

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2010, 08:04:07 pm »
I use to use Memorial day as an excuse to party and have a good time, and that was my choice, afforded me by those that served(including myself,USN 80-83) and those that gave their lives, but that all changed on April 25th 2005, when my son, just 3 weeks home from Iraq, was killed by a drunk driver, today as with every Memorial day since, my family has gathered for a somber cookout to remember not only him, but all the others that this holiday is meant for, tears have flowed here today, and will as long as we breath the air of freedom that meant so much to them, remember them in any way you see fit, that is what they would have wanted, the key in this is not how you remember them, but only that you do...... that my friends is the freedom they afforded us......I post this in honor of my son Spc.Dustin R. Hartley who sat with me and watched the Towers fall on 9-11 and joined the very next day..........You did good son, I miss you every day.......Steve Hartley,Proud Gold Star Father!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline sailordad

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2010, 10:39:07 pm »
Steve, he looks like a very proud young man in that photo
i am truly sorry for your loss,but very gratefull for his,and your,service to this great country
me and my wife thank the two of you
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd