Author Topic: Hickory Shoot Pics  (Read 9959 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Hickory Shoot Pics
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 02:00:34 pm »

El, what is keeping you from creating and organizing your own event?

Bet you some Yoopers would help you get it going.

Dane

Dane....there is no interest in Primitive Archery here....might be two of Us within a 150 miles that I know of....everyone here is into their Mega Bows...... ::)...and as for Yoopers.....I stand alone......
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Dane

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 02:56:32 pm »
I see your dilemma, but maybe you can work it in your favor? Since no one is doing it, you will be the first. Get the borg bow guys something new to try out. Target families and kids, and get ‘em hooked early. Do little events at summer camps maybe, or with the Boy Scouts, have an informal primitive meet and invite local town officials like the mayor and business owners, and get some free press. Food always brings folks. Have “mastodon burgers” and “mega-fauna dogs” and Cave Man Juice (soda or some other beverage) Bet your local paper would do a feature on primitive skills and weapons – just call the paper and talk to the reporters or editors. Having it at your local archery or gun club can help you tie it in to another event. I did a toss and piggybacked it to a fall turkey shoot, so we got some shotgun folks coming over to play. Hunters, I have found, really like learning about what we used to survive thousands of years before guns were invented.

Lots of organizations would really love this stuff, like veteran organizations, a soldier’s home, local summer camps, etc. If you have a natural history or American Indian museum, talk to them about having an event at that site. Making it free is really appreciated by parents. I’m looking at doing an atlatl event at Old Deerfield, which is only a few miles from my house. There is a summer camp in this region for under privileged kids that does awesome work, and I am going to contact them about volunteering to do some stuff with them. Shoot, there are tons of ways you can make these kinds of things work, not just a big, established event like Twin Oaks and Mojam and NEPSG. Those take years to get to where they are now – something to work toward. And get knappers and tanners and other primitive skills folks to come out. The more the better. Heck, if you have room, have it at your house, bbq some amazing food, do some bow making, and have a small group come and have some fun. Good for the soul, good for building a reputation, too.

Don’t forget Paeleo Planet. Most of the folks who came to my ataltl events were through posting there. A local college anthro club was another source of participants, and word of mouth. Newspaper articles, too, for the Roman event, and we got about 100 people to come out during that nasty rain from the hurricane that hit the region last fall.

And if you feel really ambitious, think about founding a primitive archer / skills program. That is part of what I am doing at my club, building up long moribund archery program, but keeping the emphasis on primitive. I’ve got the green light to do a lot because they now see that ancient stuff does bring in people and give added diversity to the usual shotgun and pistol and rifle programs. All this is part of my newly founded Stone Age Living Project. We are going to do a lot over time, even building Mesolithic and Native American structures, dugout canoes and coracles, short and long treks, winter atlatl and archery shoots, snowshoe making, all kinds of cool stuff.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Dane

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 04:06:23 pm »
El Destructo, I owe you a big apollogy. You are in Texas, not Michigan, yes? But you are a Yooper? I hope I got that right, at least.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2010, 04:19:06 pm »
You betcha Ey....I am a Yooper....Tru an Tru.....when I bleed...I bleed Deep Woods Off...... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2010, 10:30:11 pm »
 Chris, Was he asking you to get him a hamburger? ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2010, 09:22:24 am »
Looks like all had big fun in North Cack-a-lackie. Wish I could have been there myself.

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2010, 11:35:45 am »
i think i was still laughing at allen walking around in shorts.  it was scary!
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2010, 12:18:34 pm »
Especially when you strobe-lighted his legs with that flashlight. ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Mrs. Hillbilly

• I like broccoli
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2010, 04:56:14 pm »
We had a big Ole time! Great to see so many good friends at one time. Music was fun, food was great, the targets were rigged & the snakes were out. Oh yeah I forgot they had a gossee to baby sit the kids, fun entertainment.  ;D

Tina
What can I say - I'm a female?  That says it all.

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2010, 10:47:33 pm »
here's a pic of one of our groups on the white turkey.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2010, 12:36:33 am »
That must have been one of my misses!   :D  I don't see my arrow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Lombard

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2010, 11:27:09 am »
Awesome photos, everyone looks happy and well fed.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2010, 01:19:57 pm »
There looks like a good time. And..what's wrong with Pat ? ......  he's still upright !  Nothing better than friends,food and fire. ' Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington