Author Topic: skunk smell  (Read 2908 times)

Offline Blacktail

skunk smell
« on: May 31, 2010, 04:16:10 pm »
if a person shot a skunk how would you get the smell out of the hide or get it reduced down....i was told one time.that if you shoot a skunk just let it lay in the wood for 3-4 days and the smell should be gone...true or not i don't know...has any one ever done this...john

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: skunk smell
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 04:20:03 pm »
 I think if it laid in the woods 3 or 4 days it would be replaced with another smell.

My grandmother always washed one of the dogs with vinegar when one got a hold of a skunk.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 05:23:32 pm »
I once used tanned skunk skins for string silencers but every time they got wet they smelled like skunk so even tanning won't get rid of the stink completely.
  A few remedies to remove the smell from dogs and people is to soak with tomato juice and I also heard the Massengil douche works too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 06:42:26 pm »
                                                     I aint Touchin That One Pat............. ;D
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 07:29:20 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 06:59:19 pm »
You would if you got skunked, Mike!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Diligence

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 01:33:23 am »
When my ex-wife and I got married, it was on her folks farm.  They had a farm dog....who decided to chase and catch a skunk the night before our outdoor wedding on their farm house porch.

We cured the skunk smell on that mutt by collecting about 15 bottles of all the old aftershave and perfume the neighbors had, dumped it all on that poor mutt and she smelled really pretty....if you like flowery smelling skunk.

LOL - that brought back a few memories. 
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 11:42:39 am »
Massengil Douche, for that not so fresh feeling after a long day of hunting! 
1’—>1’

Offline okydoky

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 03:06:06 pm »
This is supposed to work on fecal smell, human corpse smell and skunk smell. They all have the same component that gives the distinct odor. I've made it, used it, and it worked good for me.    1/4 cup baking soda, 1 qt hydrogen peroxide, 1 tsp liquid dish soap. Mix in bowl, bathe the object well, rinse, smell gone. This formula is attributed to a chemist whose name I've forgotten.
Don't outsmart your common sense!

Offline Mrs. Hillbilly

• I like broccoli
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 03:25:22 pm »
You can never get the skunk smell completely gone. As Pat said when it gets wet you still smell a faint order not as strong but still there. When Bob sprayed under my car it took weeks to get the order down to a faint smell. I've had dogs that has been sprayed not even tomato juice will get the smell gone, when they get wet the smell is still there. Why do you think that most animals stay far away from skunks?  ???

Tina
What can I say - I'm a female?  That says it all.